Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Just do it

Just about every device in every bathroom at school is operated by motion sensors. I like that function so that I don't have to touch anything to flush, but it's hard to shake off the sensation of being under surveillance in the bathroom: the last place you want to be under surveillance. Well I suppose the second to last place. The last place is when you are committing a crime. I dunno, maybe the bedroom? Whatever. The thing I don't like about motion sensing bathrooms is the towel dispensers. You wave your wet hand in front of them, saying "Hello, see my hand is wet, I would like you to assist in drying it now," and it spits out some paper towel at you. But it only gives you a piece of paper towel about three inches long. It is completely insufficient to dry your hands with. Then you have to wave again: "Hi, still not dry." And if you are unlucky, or washed your hands really well you might even have to beg for a third piece of paper towel. Here's my question, why would you ever make it so that a machine's function is only partially performed each time you use it? In layman's terms, why the hell wouldn't you just program it to give you enough paper towel the first time you wave your hand in front of it?? It's not like the technology isn't capable of it. It's like the designers of the paper towel dispenser got served with divorce papers that day and wanted to take their frustration out on the rest of society.

Dear paper towel dispenser designers,

Please stop sucking at your job. Design a machine that is useful. Just do it.

Thanks,
Everyone who washes their hands

I walked to school tonight for a meeting that didn't exist. Oops. That is to say the meeting exists, it just exists tomorrow, not today. I got the wrong day. So when I was trying to get to the meeting I was worried about being late a day early. That's odd in retrospect. And I busted into a classroom, perspiring slightly, from trying to get there in time only to be greeted awkwardly by a couple of guys trying to study. By B guys. Sorry. It could have been worse. I could have asked someone where the meeting was only to be given odd looks and told I was dumb. I figured out on my own, with the help of the bulletin board, that I had the wrong day and I privately felt like an idiot. Well I guess it was private until I shared it here.

I don't know the rules of fashion. From what I understand I'm not supposed to wear white after Labor Day. I always thought that was a silly rule because it's always after some Labor Day. Or does it mean Labor Day through the end of the year. I think it means until Memorial Day? But Labor Day is coming up soon, so I'm trying to wear all the white that I own and I want to wear. People must think I'm trying to join either an angelic choir or the Klu Klux Klan. But this is a preposterous rule. Even for an unwritten rule. It has to be qualified in some way. No white? A white button down shirt is still standard after Labor Day, right? I really don't understand this. Does it mean something like I'm not supposed to wear white suits? Not being from South of the Mason Dixon line I don't own any. And if I'm not allowed to wear white during the winter how am I supposed to pop out of a snow bank and pretend I'm a Yeti?

My apartment building's pool closes after Labor Day too. That's sad. I haven't had a chance to go to the pool yet. I'm going to try this weekend. I was told that the pool will close because we only have the lifeguard through this weekend. Why do we need a lifeguard? No one goes into that pool. And if you do and you don't know how to swim, then you probably deserve to drown. It's called sink or swim for a reason!

3 comments:

  1. I find this post ironic considering you claimed in a previous entry that you are no longer worried about the bathrrom facilities when you got to a new school.


    Thoough it must be a relief to not worry about putting your hands on your butt.

    -Brendan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Touche, Brendan.

    Also, I'm going to call you sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1920684,00.html

    why we don't wear white. :D

    ReplyDelete