Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Make something up man

8:21 - I arrive at the classroom for Legal Writing
8:27 - My entire class is assembled
8:30 - Class officially begins
8:39 - My professor arrives

The first thing that happened on the first day of this class was that we were warned about the attendance policy and told that tardiness would not be tolerated. The message really lost it's force today. The professor (who is a lawyer from the DC area, not a real professor) explained that he was late "Because he had to choose between being on time and getting coffee." Everyone immediately looked from the 20 oz. coffee cup in his hand to the clock on the wall. Or at least I did. Thanks for the honesty. But as one of my classmates commented before our next class, "Make something up man. Tell us the metro was late or something." It's not the best feeling being told your time was less important than coffee. If you need your coffee that badly then wake your lazy ass up 9 minutes earlier. In the meantime, if I am ever late for that class I'm not taking crap from him about it. Also, thanks to this professor for stressing everyone in the class out. He constantly talks about working in a big firm (it's all he knows) and tells us that when we work in a firm it will be important to know how to do x. No pressure to go into a firm though. Jackass. It just makes everyone nervous that they don't know how to write the way we should, never mind the fact that we haven't been taught how to yet.

In Torts, we talking about causes of action in the athletic field, or as I deem it, sports torts. Our conversation mostly focused on Serena Williams' recent actions at the US Open. Did the line judge have a cause of action for assault? I say no; but there is an argument to be made for it. I realized today that I disagree with about 75% of the tort cases we read. People sue about stupid things that mostly result from them being incompetent. They need to take responsibility for themselves and quit whining when they are dumb or they do dumb things. Some 13 year old girl sued a 15 year old boy for injuries sustained during a game of kick the can. No joke. I had to read a court opinion that gave the basic rules of kick the can. Thankfully the court found against the girl and with good reason. If every backyard injury were actionable no one would ever play outside. We'd have generations of children who's exercise consisted of Wii Fit.

When I left school to walk home I walked passed about 7 sororities doing something inane on the quad. I'm not really sure what was going on, but each sorority was wearing matching t-shirts, shouting unintelligible cheers, and holding up Greek letters. They could have been recruiting, or having a dumb-looking-slut competition. I'm not quite sure. But I walked by wearing my Duke Lacrosse shirt and felt awkward.

Dinner was at a deli with Rachel, Gavi, and one of her friends. All four of us ordered pastrami on rye. Know why? Because we know what's up. If you order it on white bread you get kicked out of the restaurant. Though I don't appreciate being told that pastrami and corned beef are both "pickled meats." I don't want to think about anything being pickled, except pickles. While I'm not sure exactly what the process entails, it does not sound pleasant. In my imagination they just drop the pieces of meat into a gigantic pickle jar and fish it out a week later. Ew. Pickles are fine. Pickle juice is not a pleasant substance.

2 comments:

  1. Judah, Anthony, and I had a similar experience in Harvard Square the other night. We were walking to the T and all of a sudden like 30 douchey looking guys in suits were surrounding us. Judah compared it to the movie The Skulls, which I thought was apt. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You enjoy yelling at incompetant referees, thats why you don't think the line judge had any cause of action.

    ReplyDelete