Sunday, August 30, 2009

You gotta break some eggs

I ate two omelets today. One for breakfast and one for dinner. Missy left this morning and needed to (obliged me by doing so) use up some food that was left in her fridge. So she made omelets with tomato, mozzarella, and avocado. I'll get back to avocado in a minute. But these were egg-white omelets which I'd never had before. I didn't realize that making an egg white omelet requires a lot more work, what with making sure none of the delicious part of the egg is involved. I don't actually have a problem with the end result, it was good, but I don't understand the concept. It's healthier, right? But how? You are eating something a chicken pooped out. Just go with it.

My second omelet was for dinner because I wanted to get rid of eggs and didn't have the patience to boil water for pasta or rice. That's actually a common problem for me. When I decide it's dinner time I want to eat now, or at least within the next twenty minutes. I don't want to wait. And somehow I never learn to preempt my hunger and start cooking early. You can't teach a lazy boy new tricks.

Avocado. I like it, I really do. I like it in guacamole, I like it in salads, I even like it on hamburgers. But I'm pretty convinced that avocado doesn't actually taste very good. Not that it tastes bad, it just doesn't taste much at all. Is that just me? I think the appeal of avocado is the texture more than the taste. Could just be the avocado I had today...but I'm pretty sure I'm right about this one.

Here's a food that's not great: eggplant.

Here's a food that is great: cheese.

Here's a really good combination of food: Latin and Asian. I got taken to a Latin/Asian fusion restaurant in China Town yesterday. The fact that the meal was free probably made it taste even better; and I really appreciated being taken out. My friend's parents moved her little brother into college in DC this weekend. I guess he realized that his friends are a lot cooler than his parents and he'd rather drink with them than go out with his family. That must have been a tough decision. So they had an extra seat on their reservation and I was invited. Sweet! Thai chicken empanadas - good. Peking duck tacos - also very good. Sushi with jalapeno oil sauce - beyond very good. It's not every day you see those menu offerings. Or you see a drink list that specializes in both tequila and sake. I'm just imagining all of the absolutely disgusting drinks that are possible in that scenario.

There was a synagogue that we walked by in Chinatown. Apparently it is really old. Six Asians were loitering on the steps outside of it. I thought I had stepped into the beginning of a joke, but I hadn't, it was just Chinatown. Next I want to see if I can find a Jewish-Asian restaurant. What would they serve? Teriyaki gefilte fish? Kung-pao latkes?

To finish up the food theme, the Food Network has my full endorsement. It is a beautiful thing that I can watch an hour about how different candies are produced. Reese's peanut butter cups, I know your secrets!

3 comments:

  1. Matzah Ball Miso Soup sounds trendy enough that the hipsters may latch onto it... loving the blog Will keep up the good work! Hope things are going well in DC :)

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I hope school is going well (maybe you haven't started yet...you guys start late).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just moved into my new off campus digs today officially :) But classes don't start until the 8th because Umass is silly.

    ReplyDelete