Monday, September 21, 2009

Subsequently

Something I forgot from the weekend: On Friday night when Matt and I were coming home from the party we emerged from the Metro to the most beautiful sight ever-a 24 hour Krispy Kreme. Best invention ever when you are a little drunk at 2 am. But it got better. We went in, bought one donut each, and scarfed them down. Then we decided that another donut would not be out of order. So we both went back to order more donuts. I think she was charmed by Matt was winking at her (he was actually blinking back his dried up contact lens), but she just handed us the donuts and told us we were all set. What's the only thing better than drunk donuts? Free drunk donuts!

Forgive me if I have told you this already (Erika), but before Civ Pro started today I was talking with some of my classmates. We got onto the topic of the Dean's Fellow, a third year law student who teaches legal research, that a few of us have. I couldn't help but point out that she doesn't know how to pronounce the word "subsequently." She pronounces it by emphasizing the "e" sound so it sounds like sub-see-quently. Those of us who can speak properly know that you emphasize the "sub" syllable. This girl isn't foreign, she's from Maryland. She just doesn't know how to say subsequently. Yet she uses the word constantly. It really irks me and I always want to correct her. But she is essentially my teacher for a class and I don't really think it would be proper to interject with "Um, I'm pretty sure you are pronouncing that wrong." I am thinking about doing the passive-aggressive method where I just say subsequently in every sentence and I pronounce it correctly until she gets the hint. But that is pretty rude also. As it stands every time she says subsequently (read: every 15 seconds) I stop paying attention and look around to see if anyone else in the class thinks her mispronunciation is ridiculous. I hope that she gets a job in a big law firm, is talking to her boss, and says "subseequently." Her boss is going to look at her and think "Oh great, I just hired a retard." Maybe me correcting her will save her from this fate. Maybe it's funnier if I just let it happen. I'm probably just going to continue to be insanely distracted whenever she opens her mouth.

Subsequently, I went to my Contracts professor's office hours. We didn't really talk about anything particularly relevant to the class. I think I started him off with a question about contracts, but it evolved into a discussion about how lawyers don't write well anymore, how the Supreme Court is so politicized, and how baller Justice Brandeis was. Overall it went over a lot better than my discussion with my Torts professor. Of course this time I avoided telling him the subject he teaches is mostly bullshit, so that made life easier. Contracts is actually growing on me, and I think the professor likes me, so that's a definite plus.

Tonight I went to this frozen yogurt place with Anat and Felizia called Mr. Yogurto or something like that. The yogurt was pretty good, they offer a cornucopia of toppings, and they give discounts for trivia questions. I love trivia. And I won 10% off my next yogurt for answering this question: Name 5 countries that end in the letter "L." It took a little while, but I got them. I like the store, it's like challenge yogurt. They have other things you can do to get discounts. One of them was that you would get a free yogurt if you can stand in tip-toes on one foot with your eyes closed for 15 seconds. You can't do it, I promise you. I tried; I failed.

My chin up bar just came in the mail. Out of shape no more. I feel healthier already.

2 comments: