Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Subsequently Version 2.0

Oh goodness. It seems like every time I have my Legal Research class (every Wednesday) I have a new problem with my Dean's Fellow. You know, the one who can't pronounce "subsequently" the correct way? Well today it wasn't about that word. She didn't even use that word. We've moved on to a whole new word that she can't say for some bizarre reason. Treatise. Seems pretty simple right? Treat-is (kinda). Well, it's certainly not how she says it: "Treaty." Remember that time that treaty was a different word than treatise? I do. It's all the time. They are spelled differently, mean different things, and are pronounced differently. Or they should be pronounced differently. They were today. And there is no excuse. She said it 3 times while the word "treatise" was up on the powerpoint. Come on! I have no idea what her problem is. She missed the day in 4th grade where the rest of us learned how to pronounce words without sounding like retards? I don't remember that exact lesson plan, but I still know how to pronounce these fairly basic words correctly. It's not even like treatise could be read as 'treaty.' This makes no sense! I did actually try to correct her today. The first time she said "treaty" I looked around to see if anyone else heard it. Apparently no one did (or, more likely, no one was paying attention-I know the guy next to me was checking his fantasy football team; I was checking my fantasy baseball team). The second time she mispronounced it I said "treatise?" discreetly. I was trying to correct her politely. I expected her to say, "Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant, treatise." But she just kept on going, and mispronounced it again. Maybe she didn't hear me. Maybe she didn't understand. But at least I tried. But she's definitely screwed once she gets a job. Sooner or later she is going to mispronounce a commonplace word and everyone is going to tease her mercilessly. Then fire her.

During lunch today I was browsing BDP's facebook info and came across a hilarious Star Wars related quote. I let him know it brightened my day. But it put me in a Star Wars mood. I let my (not so) inner nerd out and discussed Star Wars with some of my classmates who were trying to study. No time for studying. Only talking about Star Wars with me! I came up with a couple of situations where I want to see what would happen:

What would happen if I get cold called in a class and I just look my professor in the eye and say "These are not the droids you are looking for"? What would happen? Would I have to answer the question? Would I get a response?

What if I came to class dressed as an Imperial Stormtrooper? Nothing else weird, acting normally. Just full uniform, helmet, blaster and everything. Could I stay?

What if I went to the White House dressed as an Imperial Stormtrooper and stood guard as if I were in the Secret Service? What do you think the actual Secret Service would do? Even better, if I were President I would make my Secret Service agents dress up as stormtroopers for Halloween. They would love it.

My Star Wars mood gradually moved towards the Cantina song. I played it a few times and managed to get it stuck in everyone's head for the duration of LRW. I'd say that was a success. That song is actually ridiculous. It is preposterously repetitive and addictive. It would be a really bad ring tone...

Michael Moore...not sure how I feel about his new movie. Mostly because I haven't seen it. But what I really mean is I'm not sure if I want to see it. I have a soft spot for him. I know he's a whack-job. But I like "Bowling for Columbine." Yes, he uses crappy ambush techniques. And he's an egomaniac. And Fahrenheit 9/11 is (more than) a little crazy. But for some reason I am interested in what he has to say. It might be the liberal counterpart to why I sometimes watch Fox News. It's part masochism, part interest. I generally agree with Moore's point. Just everything else is a little crappy. From the trailer, Moore showing up on Wall St. with a bull horn attempting to make a citizens arrest is exactly the kind of crap I am talking about. Why you gotta be that guy, Michael Moore? Why do you have to pull douchey stunts to prove your point? Can't you just interview legit people, keep your face off the screen, and make your point without pissing off 9/10ths of America? Apparently not. But I kinda want to see what he's on about this time.

The other movie I can't decide if I want to see is "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell," the Tucker Max movie. I like the book, but it's the kind of stuff I'm not sure will translate well onto the screen. Scratch that. It definitely will not translate well. It's going to be a fratty movie, but I like Tucker Max. Hrmm. Anyone seen it? Advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment