Monday, September 14, 2009

I am currently wet

I am brilliant. I just refilled the Brita, and then, without waiting for the water to filter, attempted to pour a glass of water for myself. All I wanted to do was quench my thirst, but I ended up spilling water all over the kitchen and myself. That's when I know to call it a day. I closed my Criminal Law book, utilized the paper towels, and retired to my room.

At least this Monday was better. Much better. Though still not fantastic. But relative to all recent Mondays it was good, so I'm cautiously optimistic. Even though the first thing I did today was irksome: calling an automated answering service. I had to talk to Bank of America about some crap they pulled on me. And I haven't had time during regular business hours recently, so I called this morning a little before 9. Yes, a little before 9 is when I wake up; most days it is 8:30 (except tomorrow when it's an hour earlier). That's wicked early for people still in college, and wicked late for people who have regular jobs. Clearly I am in grad school. Everyone hates "If you have a question regarding your account, please press 1. If you have a question regarding your credit card, please press 2. If you have a question about how to defraud the public and receive billions of dollars of taxpayer money, please hold for the CEO..." and so forth. But Bank of America is so much worse at least for 9 in the morning. Not only did I have to press numbers, I also had to speak to the automated voice in order to affirm that the number I just pressed was in fact the one I meant to press. The result of this system was that my first words of the morning/week (weeks start on Monday, let's not kid ourselves) were said to a computer that had a difficult time understanding that I said "yes" rather than "no." It's not like they sound at all similar. Whatever. I ended up convincing a testy-sounding Bank of America employee to give me my $35 back, so I began the day with a small victory. My bigger victory was plane tickets to Boston in October. I'm pumped. Now let's get on with it September. I don't think anyone likes September. If September were a kid in elementary school he would be the one who wore khakis and hated recess. Get a life. Come on October. October is the cool kid who played dice in the alley. Maybe not, since I don't think I've ever seen anyone play dice the in alley outside of the musical Guys and Dolls.

I've pretty much given up on paying attention in Contracts. The professor is quite nice, though a bit dull. He reminds me of a less famous, less amusing Ben Stein. But from now on from 11-11:55 three days a week I'll probably be on G-Chat. It's much more rewarding than listening to my professor drone on about cases we read a week and a half ago. No kidding. The reading is about a chapter ahead of the class discussion. Weak dude. It gets hard to remember so far back. I hope it doesn't get to an "Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin and that's all I remember about that" type of scenario.

The Geico commercials that have the money with the eyes and the techno song are hilarious. I love the one at the Chinese restaurant. So random. Also the guy who puts the pastry lid over it. Whatever advertising agency thought that up is genius.

And now: Kanye West. Apparently he had an incident with Taylor Swift at the VMA's. My reaction is who watches the VMA's anymore? I was sort of under the impression that music videos died out, especially on MTV. I thought the network just showed immature reality shows these days. Not like the good ol' middle school days of TRL with Carson Daily that I had to watch at a friend's house because I didn't have cable. Most music videos now are promulgated by Youtube, I'd expect. So who cares what happens at an MTV event? I'm glad this drew Joe Wilson comparisons by the way, because the award show of a has-been television channel is about on par with a presidential address to a joint session of Congress in the House Chamber on an issue concerning the immediate well-being of millions of Americans. Kanye West is only influential if you let him be, and everyone is letting him. He knows it, so it's just funny to watch. Although this is nowhere near as amusing as "George Bush doesn't care about black people" (the look on Mike Myers face was priceless). Taylor Swift had it coming; she didn't know what the midwest is. Also, the VMA's used to be crazy talk. Remember when Red Hot Chili Peppers played practically naked? Remember when the bassist from Rage Against the Machine climbed up on the statue because he was pissed that Limp Bizkit won the award for best rock video and security couldn't get him down? That stuff used to happen all the time. I'm just not shocked. I'm not saying what Kanye did was polite, but really it shouldn't be national news. Now I'm waiting for 15 references to this event on Kanye's next album. "Everyone hatin' on Kanye West/Just because I told Taylor she ain't the best..." He'll do it better, I promise. But that's why he's the professional rapper round here.

No comments:

Post a Comment