Sunday, September 27, 2009

Yom Kippur and hungry already

It is a remarkable 3 hours into the Yom Kippur fast and wouldn't you know it, I am hungry. This does not bode well for the next 22 hours of fasting. At least I will be asleep for a few of those hours. And with the rest of them I'll be doing exciting things like listening to services in a language I don't understand and reading about personal jurisdiction. Whoopee! I'm actually excited though, it is what I want to do. I really like the idea of Yom Kippur, a day of atonement. And I'm (clearly) not Catholic, so this isn't a common occurrence that you get forgiveness. I like the contemplativeness of the day. No pressure to do anything in particular, just to think. It's rare.

I forgot a ridiculous occurrence that happened on Saturday night on the way to Adams Morgan with Damien. We were on the metro and we pulled in to the Van Ness stop. People got off; people got on. The announcement came on, as it always does, "Doors closing, step back." The doors closed. Then the doors opened. Then the announcement, "Doors closing, step back." Then the doors closed. Then the doors opened. This cycle repeated for about 5 minutes with everyone on the train getting first confused, then frustrated. Some people reached downright anger. It was amusing to watch a girl who had been next to the doors freak out, thinking that she had leaned on them and this was all her fault. It wasn't her fault, but it was someone's. Eventually all the passengers of the train were told to get off and wait on the platform for the next train. We complied, but not without profanity. Damien struck up a conversation with some woman wearing ridiculous yellow shoes. She liked him, but apparently he wussed out and didn't invite her to go with us. It may not have helped that he was beginning to look like Wolfman because he hadn't shaved in a day and a half (though it's not his fault he grows facial hair at a Tim Allen-like rate (some Santa Claus movie, right?)). Eventually the next train comes and the hundred or so people who were inconvenienced by the previous train get on the new one. We take our seats and hold our breath, waiting to see what happens when it is time for the doors to close. "Doors closing, step back" and they close. Everyone breathes a sigh of relief. Then the doors fly open. Everyone looks perplexed for a second until I break out into laughter. A few other people then join me. My laughter continues as the train driver comes over the speaker saying "You need to step back from the door sir, or else the same thing is gonna happen. Stop touching the door!" He wasn't messing around, you could tell. The doors closed and we went. But someone was to blame all along! Thanks, jerk. It's funny to know that one inconsiderate/idiotic person can cause so many other people so many problems. Oh wait, we already lived through the 43rd presidency and learned that lesson.

Last night I went to Rachel's for a pirate themed party. Let me tell you, it was not where all the cool kids were. There were, in fact, only three cool kids present: Rachel, Gavi, and me. The other 15 people, sadly, did not qualify for our category. Their pirate costumes, vehemence for awkwardness, and general demeanor disqualified them. The three of us ate pizza (damn, reminded myself I'm hungry) and generally hung out which was quite pleasant. I did get warned against law school by someone who just graduated. That's always a good sign. I think she's just bitter because she doesn't have a job or an attractive personality. Maybe the pirate costume wasn't helping her, just a thought.

This morning I submitted the infamous Memo 1. It was a lot of help learning that citations were a maximum of 2 (out of 40) points. Wish I had seen that sooner. I'm not thrilled about how it turned out, but I'm not thrilled about legal writing in general. I'm certainly no Oliver Wendell Holmes. I celebrated turning in the memo with a run on the treadmill, a shower, and going to a bar to watch football all day with Dan. We ran into some people from school and met others. It was nice relaxing, drinking my Diet Coke, eating my buffalo wing, and watching the Patriots win. My only qualm is that I got wicked ADD during the game. This is a sports bar that has half a million (maybe 30) television screens. That's a lot. They had about 7 games on at a time, and I ended up trying to follow every one while focusing on the Patriots. It was quite a task and I think I failed at it for the most part. I was crippled by my poor eye sight and my refusal to wear my glasses in any but the most dire circumstances.

1 comment:

  1. this post is hilarious. i love you, i miss you, i can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete