Friday, April 30, 2010

Candy!

So now I am officially finished with my 1L year of law school, assuming I did not fail anything (knock on wood). That feels fantastic.
Civil Procedure was the last exam. I felt pretty well prepared for it, but my professor's exams are notoriously difficult so I was not cocky. I was, however, focused which is more than I can say about many of my classmates. Almost everyone I talked to said they barely studied for it, or just wanted it to be over and sort of disregarded the exam. The temptation to do that was overwhelming, but somehow it wasn't worth it. Hopefully all that lack of focus helped the curve. That lack of focus is also probably why I had the honor (read that word with dripping sarcasm) of fielding other people's civil procedure questions. Not my job.
Right before the exam my Civil Procedure professor came into the room and gave us a talk. "Do you remember in January I told you about a study that they did about the effects of happiness on productivity? They had three groups of doctors. One was a control group. The second read the Hippocratic Oath. The third they made happy. And the happy group performed 35% better on a complex test. Do you know what they did to make them happy? Gave them candy. That's all." And with that he whipped out big goodie bags full of candy and handed them out to everyone in the room. He told us we'd do well now that we were happy. He also told us that the people at his local CVS were worried for his health and were going to give him a diabetes test. It seems kind of sappy/lame, but in the actual place and time where its a stressful environment leading up to an important test it was really nice of him.
The test itself was alright. Who really knows? I'm kind of banking on the fact that I actually studied a lot and felt like I understood the material well while many people in my section did not. But who knows.

To top off finishing the year, I saw the presidential motorcade leaving the bar on the way to dinner. An Obama sighting is always exciting. That rhymes enough to be a rap lyric.
Also, I correctly predicted the number of pitchers of margaritas the table would drink at dinner. It was eight pitchers for 13 people consuming them. Not too shabby except that I still hate tequila. But I am apparently clairvoyant about its consumption.

RCN screwed me over. Raising my rates without telling me. I get the same internet and cable. But now I get to pay more for it. Thanks RCN. Though by complaining about it to the woman on the phone I got $5 off for the next six months as an incentive to stop me from switching to another provider. Expert negotiator.

No comments:

Post a Comment