Sunday, April 11, 2010

Can Something Be "Somewhat Tautological"?

"I want to update my blog," I thought to myself, "but I don't know what to say. This wasn't much of an epic weekend. I finished two outlines and procrastinated for the most part. Hrmmm." I popped another Starburst in my mouth, checked my fantasy baseball team, then unwrapped another Starburst. "Pink. Score!" Wait a minute. Why am I just sitting here eating candy? This is not what I should be doing. At the very least I should be here not eating candy. New goal: stop eating like absolute crap. I realized that if I stop snacking on really unhealthy food (example: Starbursts) and stop drinking, I'd probably be in much better shape. So I'm going to try that on for size. And see if I go down in size. Not that I really need to, it's just a challenge. Things like the powdered dough product I got today from Starbucks, the cinnamon bun I bought from a bake sale on Friday, and the milkshake I got from Johnny Rockets on Thursday could all easily be cut out of my diet with a little will power. Luckily all my power is Will power. Bring it on! Thought that milk shake was delicious and I regret nothing about it.

Friday night I was leaving Stephanie's room. She says "Get home safe." It's a block and a half walk in a safe area, so I jokingly said "Who knows, maybe I'll get stabbed by a homeless man." Then on the way home I was approached by a gentleman who was clearly intoxicated. "Oh crap," I thought. In drunken English he asked me which way the metro was. I pointed him in the right direction. He thanked me vigorously and as a symbol of his gratitude gave me a magnanimous handshake. I was creeped out. I shook his hand, but I really didn't want to. He went to say something else to me, but I walked away. I really didn't want to get stabbed.
Then, Sunday afternoon as I was walking around Dupont with RKG, I made the mistake of catching the eye of one of those guys who doesn't quite look homeless but still wanders around talking to himself angrily using mostly profanity. He looked me right in the eye and started swearing. Thanks guy. There are so many of those people in DC. I like to think that they are all disgruntled former congressional staffers, but I'm probably wrong. It's probably only most of them - not all.

I think this is the only city where when you say "I'm going to the mall" someone needs to ask "shopping or national?"

The professor who wrote my hornbook for Civil Procedure must have been incredibly drunk when he wrote the chapter on the Erie Doctrine. It doesn't matter what that is if you don't know. The chapter literally starts with a 'personal fantasy' which is meant to illustrate Glannon's (the author) fear of explaining Erie. This fantasy includes an archangel coming down to him while he was in Civil Procedure and motivating him to run away to work in a nursery watering plants. What?? Just tell me what I need to know, nutjob. The rest of the book is really helpful, but this chapter just makes no sense.
Of course I mentioned this to Shaked, who has not seen the book, and she explained to me (courtesy of her professor telling her class a story) that Glannon really didn't want to write the chapter on Erie and this was his way of coping. It is absolutely ridiculous that this chapter is infamous enough for Shaked to know what I was talking about. Thus, I think Glannon was drinking heavily.

1 comment:

  1. an archangel came down to me today and motivated me to drop out of law school and work for the MBTA as a T driver for the rest of my life. Just thought i should update you.

    ReplyDelete