Thursday, April 19, 2012

Start the Countdown

First off, RIP Levon Helm. The Band was great, his voice was great, and his drumming was unlike anyone else's. I've been listening to "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" on repeat for the last two days.

That started things off on a downer. Let's see if we can kick it up. Uhhhh.
Whiskey time. It's like Hammer Time, but with less dancing.

Tomorrow I start the countdown: 31 days til graduation. Well I just reported that, I just started the countdown. And why not start at 31 - it's just as arbitrary as 30 days. It's just less traditional. But you know what, I've agreed with little about law school so far, so why agree to a 30 day countdown? Come to think of it, I have an extra ticket to graduation. Want to come?
Do you think they let pandas come to graduation? Even if they have a ticket??
At graduation I'm thinking about dressing up as Waldo. But I think it might be too easy for everyone.

My allergies have been acting up recently. Yesterday I sneezed on a jogger. Sorry!

GMail forced its new format upon me. I don't like it. "Will doth protest too much, methinks." Fair.

So today I went to office hours with my Separation of Powers professor. I asked him a question about the constitutional test for removal provisions (I know, I know, stay with me here). There is a traditional test that has been around since the 1930's, which is the test I learned in both Con Law I and in Administrative Law. But there was a case in the 80's, Morrison v. Olson, that has a sort of contrary result and a different test. So I asked whether we should discuss both tests, which seemed reasonable to me since two classes in the past two years taught me the 1930's test as good law. My professor told me the Morrison test displaced the old ones and they are now clearly not the correct standard. Well really is that what the Supreme Court would say or is that just your opinion? I honestly can't tell. There is something unsettling about learning one way to do things in fundamental classes and then getting to an upper level class and learning that you might be totally wrong. It's sort of like when Matt Hope told me that gravity doesn't quite work as a theory. It's a little, well, mind-blowing. And not in the "Requiem for a Dream" way. I guess the answer is that for the final I go with what my professor says. And in real life, I will never get the opportunity to argue a constitutional removal issue, so I don't have to worry too much about it. There's the glass door of reality hitting you smack in the face as you try to charge on through.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I got a shout out! #internetfamous

    ReplyDelete
  2. ///
    GMail forced its new format upon me. I don't like it. "Will doth protest too much, methinks." Fair.

    So today I went to office hours with my Separation of Powers professor
    ///

    Do you think the Supreme Court can do something about restoring the old GMail look?

    I hate it too,FWIW (who doesnt?)
    :)

    FC

    ReplyDelete