Sunday, April 1, 2012

Russian House Music

Well, I don't know how to say this but...I'm pregnant. . . . . . . April Fools! Oh haha, I bet you were freaking out. What a hilarious joke. Sadly that was my first and only prank this April Fools Day - if you can call that a prank (some would say it's a cry for help). My roommate has been away for a few days as a Mock Trial tournament in Chicago. I was considering covering one of his walls with mirrors. I thought it would be funny, but other people disagreed. So I nixed it. April Fools Day seems to be a dying art.

I spent most of this weekend being academically-minded. My goal was to get a very rough draft of my Antitrust paper done by the end of the weekend. I succeeded. Huzzah! I also have to go back and make sure anything I said makes sense but that is Future Will's problem.
Saturday I accompanied Ron and his team to see the Jessup final round. In a classic Cold War match up, we had Moscow versus Columbia (university, not country). Just like the Cold War, Moscow won (wait, what?) but best oralist went to Columbia. It was good to see the top two teams, to see what makes great oral advocacy. This could not have been more in contrast to the 1L moot court competition I had to judge this afternoon. Actually the 1Ls I saw were surprisingly good. I was going to play the role of Justice Thomas (" ") or be a jerk, but I ended up being a benevolent judge. It's good resume building for being a benevolent dictator of a small island nation, preferably.

DC needs to get good non-gourmet pizza. Good take-out pizza.
So generally at the internal moot court competitions, they serve the judges a nice lunch. Usually sandwiches from Corner Bakery with some coffee, Diet Coke, and cookies. I had just run and I was excited to scoop some turkey avocado. Instead there was Sprite and pizza. Bad pizza. Cardboard pizza. Tiny little flat slices so greasy they stuck to the box pizza. What the hell is that?
Later today, I went to Damien's to begin the new season of "Game of Thrones." I was pumped because not only was the show starting back up, they were going to have a bar-b-q. They did not. They ordered pizza. Not quite as gross, but still bad pizza. I'd give it a 3. (Dear pizza company, pizza traditionally comes with more than a hint of cheese. It's not like Hint of Lime Tostitos.) What I'm saying is that DC needs to clean up its act and get some pizza that doesn't require you to be hammered at 1 am to taste good.

At the behest of Ron and his teammates, Friday night I went to Russia House. This time I actually remember it clearly. It still has huge Russian guys in black just standing there. "You need to move drink." "Yessir. I will move my drink." I've never felt so simultaneously safe and unsafe. The entire thing makes you wonder if it's a front. But I felt right at home because they were playing "The Patriot" on the tv. Talk about a mismatch. Really Russia House has hilarious Eurotrash. And Russian house music grows on you after a while. I'm not proud to admit it, but it's true.

1 comment:

  1. Law school is stressful enough. Finding a job shouldn’t make it worse. I work with JD Match, a company striving to add some much needed sanity to the recruiting process. Using a sophisticated matching algorithm, they can help you be discovered by employers looking for what you have to offer. Visit their site to see how it works, sign up for a free membership, and get some control over the recruitment process. http://bit.ly/HKGvBF

    ReplyDelete