Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Gold Card

Today I purchased enough beverages on my Starbucks Card to qualify for a Gold Card. I am awesome. I don't find it problematic at all that I've purchased 30 drinks at Starbucks over the past two and a half months. I'm really saving money since all my extras like syrup and soy are free. And every 15 drinks I buy, I get a free one. Things are fine. "Denial ain't just a river in Egypt." You can't even be addicted to caffeine. It's just psychological. And required among law students.

I finally filed by state taxes. It's a lot more gratifying than it really should be. Now all the administrative work I have to do is filing my bar application. Great. Who wants to write me a recommendation? As far as I can tell the only qualification is that you cannot be a family member. And you can't lie about my criminal record. So you can't say I have one. I would also prefer it is you overlooked some of my indiscretions like anything mentioned on this blog. It's likely only a matter of time until you have to disclose all blogs and social networking sites you operate to the board of bar examiners.
How do you become a member of the board of bar examiners? Do you get paid for that? Seems like an easy job, if a bit sadistic.

My Antitrust professor will now get to review to possible train wreck that is my paper. On the flip side, it could be pretty good. I'm not sure, so I guess that I'm happy to get preliminary feedback on it. It has math in it and an appendix containing graphs and charts! This is some high school stuff, in the way that it is stuff I haven't done since high school. Now I am preparing to be disappointed when I get a comment saying "This is high school-level legal reasoning." Hrm. Upon consideration, that is the comment I would give to my Trust & Estates professor about his class. Can't wait until course evaluation time!

I don't get Google+. Can someone explain why I need one?

You know how homosexuals aren't a protected class? Well I clearly think it is ridiculous. I think that we should give protections to any class that Hitler persecuted. If Hitler hated them, they are doing something right. That's how we should determine things.

The more law school I get through, the angrier I get when I listen to non-lawyers talk about legal issues as if they are totally assured of what they are saying. Most recently prompted by a discussion about Supreme Court justices recusing themselves about the health care case.

Taking Tax was really helpful. I can tell people that lottery winnings are definitely not taxed at a different rate than income from your job. That's just false. It's all income (and then there's capital gains, but let's not get into it). Look at the tax brackets; nothing is taxed even close to 50%

1 comment:

  1. No one said law school would be easy. Want a leg up right now? Check out JD Match. Their free online service will help you get connected to AmLaw firms that are looking for someone just like you. It only takes a few minutes to start a profile. Easy and free, two things that a law student doesn’t hear very often. http://bit.ly/IbLtqn

    ReplyDelete