Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Anticlimax and the End of Classes

Law school classes and all school classes are now officially done. I'm happy, but it was anticlimactic. I was thinking about bringing in those things where you pull a string and it explodes with confetti to Trusts & Estates, but I didn't out of respect for the cleaning staff. Class just ended, then I left and ate lunch. No Alice Cooper blaring over the PA system. No congratulatory handshake from a man in a tuxedo and top hat who is also handing me a key to the city. Just a sandwich. Anticlimax. But still, I'm happy about it. After my last class, I went over a practice test for Separation of Powers with a classmate. I'm trying to hit the ground running for finals, but I feel pretty prepared and I have tons of time. So I guess I'm in a good place with that.

On some level I can't believe I made it through to the end of law school. I really contemplated calling it quits during first year in particular. But here I am. One paper and three finals to go.

What's that? Oh, my paper is finished. Just three finals to go. That's right, I made the necessary edits on my Antitrust paper. But I'm no fool; this time I'm going to sit on it and not hand it in until the end. Yes, last time I was being unnecessarily cranky about having to do extra work and it was a reflection I'm not proud of. But I'm also not proud that I ate so many Charleston Chews today. And they were delicious. My paper is gloriously done. And I feel pretty good about it. The professor is talking about workshopping it in the summer/fall into something that I will eventually publish to "make a name for myself in the field." That's a generous offer. We'll see how it goes. I'm pretty intimidated by the fact that he can make a few phone calls and have the principal lawyers for the that case I am writing about come talk to me. I'm worried they are just sucking up to my professor and will think my paper is...how do you say...terrible. I'd rather not have my bubble burst at the moment. I'm proud of my original research.

Overheard in DC: "Meet Anne. She is our gender conflict sociologist advanced researcher." What?! That is not an acceptable job title. It means nothing yet each individual part is a buzzword. Impressive in its own way, I admit, but not in the way it is supposed to be.

1 comment:

  1. Law school is stressful enough. Finding a job shouldn’t make it worse. I work with JD Match, a company striving to add some much needed sanity to the recruiting process. Using a sophisticated matching algorithm, they can help you be discovered by employers looking for what you have to offer. Visit their site to see how it works, sign up for a free membership, and get some control over the recruitment process. http://bit.ly/JdB0xz

    ReplyDelete