Monday, July 5, 2010

4th and More

The Fourth was largely traditional - cookout, reading the Declaration of Independence (sometimes in assorted voices), and heading into Cambridge for fireworks on the Charles. I ate too much, got angry at strangers for standing on our blanket, and watched a girl run off the T to vomit. What more could you want from our nation's birthday? Back to the getting angry at strangers part, this guy randomly stood on our blanket during the fireworks and kept shouting "woo" in appreciation of the fireworks right in my ear. Why are you shouting woo in my ear? The pyrotechnicians can't hear you. Are you impressed by the fireworks? I've got news for you, so is everyone else. Now please leave my vicinity and stop shouting. On a positive note, the fireworks were actually really good this year.

A few days ago I went out to eat around Fanueil Hall. Every single bar/restaurant is the same. On the same corner there are three Irish pubs, all with names like McFaddens (that's one, not to be confused with the McFaddens in DC - where you go to see underage college kids try too hard), all with the same menu items, and even all with the same color and font on their menus. There was literally no point in trying to decide between them. So I just left because the area smelled bad on account of the horse-drawn carriage rides that were taking place. Then, walking through Fanueil Hall, there were three live bands playing (terribly). One male vocalist was taking on "Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga and another band did a truly awful rendition of "Devil Went Down to Georgia." The third was the best, sticking to some crappy 80's song which required no talent to perform in the first place, so covering it wasn't too difficult. Then onto the other strip of bars that also had the exact same menu items, Irish theme, and selection of poor cover bands which would begin playing after 9 or so. At least not all of these ones had the same colored menu. Ah Boston Irish, I love it.

In the Lady Gaga song "Alejandro" she takes a really long pause after she says "She's got both hands..." which often makes me consider the alternatives - having one or no hands. That would suck.

A note to the birds: you need to stop diving right in front of my car while I am driving. You can fly; fly high to the other side of the street. There is absolutely no need to constantly risk the kind of peril you place yourself in by flying three feet off the ground in front of a moving vehicle. You also make me very nervous.
I don't think I've hit a bird yet, but I'm waiting for it to happen any day now. I'm also just waiting for a bird to dive smack into the windows of my car.

Today: day off of work. Tomorrow: watching a witness get embarrassed at a hearing for not telling the entire truth. When someone says that investment increased constantly and substantially each year, you'd expect the investments to go up each year, wouldn't you? Well let's watch him explain his choice of words when faced with the information which he provided that investments, in fact, went down for a number of years. This should be funsies.

"I drive a Dodge Stratus! I can do twenty pushups in one minute!" This SNL quote got me in trouble and sparked a moderately intoxicated pushup competition between Chris and me. But we can both do more than twenty in one minute, so everyone's a winner!

The New Hampshire state liquor store is a phenomenal location. What a bargain! That's a price that can't be beat!

No comments:

Post a Comment