Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Actively Bad

To say a sad farewell to Yael, a few people (I think many of them read this, maybe they'd like to be mentioned? Braver, Dan, Yael, Nathaniel, Ron, and Shaked) met up for dessert at Athans, a bakery/cafe in Brookline. Do not go there! Somewhere in between discussions of arm hair, head hair, and nameless biblical characters we ordered dessert. You'd expect dessert to be good when you are at a place that serves it exclusively and charges an exorbitant amount for it. But it wasn't. I ordered a framboise cake. Upon taking a first bite I noticed it was dry. The second bite confirmed this, and also informed me that what little flavor was to be found was terrible. Not "It wasn't good," but, as I put it at the time, "Actively bad." I was just going to leave it alone, but after some badgering/encouragement (depending on who you are asking) I asked the guy at the counter who had served me if I could exchange it for something else:
Him: Is there a problem?
Me: This isn't good. Like, it's...pretty bad.
Him: Ok.
Me: Do you think I could exchange it for something else?
Him: Ok.
Me: Are the eclairs cold?
Him: They are all cold. The case is a refrigerator.
Me: (mostly to myself) That cake wasn't cold...
He had a European accent and was snooty. Maybe re-read that conversation with that fact in mind. I'm waaaay too lazy to edit what has already happened in the post. Anyway, the eclair was decent, though still probably sub-par, particularly for $5. And it wasn't all that cold either. Moral of the story: don't go there, you will be disappointed (if you are me at least).

I was told in no uncertain terms by the Dean of Financial Aid that there was nothing she could do for me. I specifically asked whether there was any argument, no matter how persuasive, that I could make to her that would change anything. She said no. Well I feel good about my law school and their attention to my needs. Tomorrow I'll try a different administrator. Then Friday perhaps another. It'll be a fun getting-snubbed-by-administrators party. (Note: not a good theme for an actual party; much better would be reasons that America is awesome. Or 90's.)

"Hey, Soul Sister" by Train: overplayed yet wholesome. Something on which everyone can agree, then agree they have heard too many times.
Also, welcome back from from the 90's, Train. How was that decade where you didn't do anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment