Saturday, July 17, 2010

Don't Call It A Comeback

I think I am going insane. I use my phone's alarm to wake me up every morning before work. This morning I woke up to the alarm sound, but I didn't set an alarm. And sometimes when I sit in bed (read: at the moment) I hear the alarm, even though I can see my phone and I am well aware that the alarm is not going off. What is going on here? It's quite annoying and disturbs my peaceful slumber. Which is why I am awake and writing this.

I am also writing this because it is much more fun than writing cover letters. Cover letters are still my enemy. "Please hire me! I'll be your best friend" is about where I am with them. If only that worked.

Having a prolonged period of time where you have nothing to amuse yourself with besides your cell phone can be dangerous. You start sending ridiculous text messages. Yesterday morning I was waiting before the hearing got started and sent something along the lines of "If you give a moose a muffin or a mouse a cookie then you are interacting oddly with undomesticated animals." While I maintain that is a true statement, it is also an entirely unnecessary one.

Speaking of hearings, I really enjoy going to them, particularly when I (kinda) understand what is happening. I like the "sick burn!" moment when an attorney drops a bomb on the witness. Inevitably the witness struggles out of the straight jacket they have been put into with some song and dance, but I like watching them squirm (and I don't want to say perjure, but...saying you believe facts to be one way which conveniently helps you get out of the rough spot you are in, without having actual knowledge or hard data available for everyone to examine).
In order to get a decent grasp of what some witnesses are talking about I am learning a lot about engineering, economics, and accounting. Last week I was all over capital structures and cost of equity/cost of debt. I still know approximately 5% of what that crap is, but now I could probably hold my own during dinner party conversation. Not that I'd want to attend a dinner party where the topic of conversation is capital structures.

No comments:

Post a Comment