Thursday, July 29, 2010

No Money, Mo' Problems

Today was the first day I can remember where I spent literally no money. I didn't have time during the work day to take my usual break to Dunkin Donuts in the morning. Or the afternoon. I didn't go out for dinner. I didn't buy something crazy online, or see a movie, or go out for a drink. Nothing. I need to start having more days like this. Or surrender all my worldly possessions and head out on my own into nature, Siddhartha-style. That sounds terrible, though I wouldn't have to worry about spending money. These days Siddhartha would be mistaken for just some other crazy homeless guy. And you know what, I'm not sure that the people mistaking him would be entirely incorrect.

There was a story on abovethelaw.com about all the summer associates at Akin Gump (a big law firm, for those of you who are lucky enough not to have just gone through OCI or just don't know) icing a bunch of full-time associates (actual lawyers). If you don't know what icing is yet, you might be better off. Though it is a wholly amusing idea. But summer associates getting ballsy enough to ice people who hold future job opportunities in their hands? That takes true bro-ish courage. My pre-ripped American Eagle baseball cap is off to them. Apparently all the summers called a meeting with the associates under the cover of saying they were unhappy with the way work was going. The summers all had matching "Ice Storm" (or something) t-shirts and iced all the associates. Coming up next: none of these summers get offers.

I know that this is a bit condescending, but as (if) you read this (which you are clearly under no obligation to do, in fact I'm not sure I recommend) please remember that I did not actually do anything, even though I would have liked to. The woman running trivia last night pronounced some things in ways which...were incorrect (read: pissed me off, made me consider correcting her to her face, and certainly prompted me to have small fits of rage in my seat). I'll try to type what she said phonetically. First, in answering a question about houses at Hogwarts, she pronounced two of the houses Sly-therin (as in sly, like a fox), and Gry-findor (again, with the 'y' sound rather than sounding like an 'i'). Come on, Harry Potter references have permeated the culture pretty deeply. I don't think it is unheard of to be able to pronounce those names correctly.
Then she asked the question: "The Cure's first hit song, 'Killing an Arab' is based on what novella by Albert Camus" - pronounced "Cam-Us." Wowza. That's pretty atrocious. And I haven't even read "The Stranger." To reiterate, I understand that it is condescending to want to correct her. But she has to learn some time! Arggggg. So bad. It's not nice of me, I know. But I want to help her learn!
Anyways, none of this is as bad as "subsequently." Or sub-see-quently, depending on who you are talking to.

I spent a good 3 hours today searching for an attorney to ask him a question about whether we were proceeding with a case or not. A question which he asked me to ask him earlier in the day. Then poof, he disappeared for the entire afternoon. Frustration. Or magic attorney, you decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment