Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sustained, Sustained.

So 7:15 AM. That's pretty early, especially for a Saturday. But that's what time I got up today, to assist my mock trial team. Luckily I am only a witness so there was little to no pressure on me, and I didn't spend the past 2 weeks stressing about mock trial. But the trial started around 9 AM at DC Superior Court. It was actually pretty neat to watch and be part of a "trial" in a real court room. There was the whole shebang. Pretrial motions, opening statements, examinations of witnesses, and closing statements. Law and Order style - kinda. Sustained sustained! Here's my gavel. Sustained.
Actually, being a witness was kinda fun. I was a dentist, so I had to look like I knew what I was talking about. I clearly know nothing about dentistry (except that candy is bad), and certainly nothing about forensic dentistry (despite taking forensic science for my college science requirement 4 years ago), so I made myself look authoritative by putting on my glasses once I got up on the witness stand. The judges appreciated it (for some reason they mentioned it in the feedback portion to the attorneys), so clearly they knew who was the boss on matters of forensic dentistry. Glasses make people look smart. Woot. Also, during my cross examination, I gave an evasive answer to the opposing attorney who started going through the motions to impeach my testimony. I ain't Bill Clinton, I ain't getting impeached. No sir. I corrected that quickly. Sit down, Ken Starr.

Sustained!

Other than mock trial...I don't really know. I finally got my Torts grade back, 2 and a half months after taking the exam. Thank you professor, I appreciate your punctuality. It demonstrates a clear respect for your students. Everything surrounding Torts was a fiasco it seems. (And not a Lupe Fiasco.) At least it is done and I never have to take that class or that professor again.

1 comment:

  1. Getting impeached on the stand sucks for everyone. However, being evasive isn't grounds for getting impeached, it's just being non-responsive. Unless you looked him in the eye and said that you were a nice person who thinks Hiatt is awesome, he shouldn't even tried to impeach.

    ReplyDelete