Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Fire Alarming

Busy week so far. Lots of reading. Lots of wasting time in a 2 hour session on negotiations that my entire section had today in lieu of one LRW class this week. Why? I don't know. (He's on third.) It was actually pretty interesting. I learned that...uhhhh it's better to be cooperative when you negotiate than just being purely confrontational. Or so statistics would tell you. What the statistics won't tell you is that dinosaurs who threaten to bite the other negotiator's head off are far more successful than most cooperative negotiators.

Today was a day where a lot of people asked me annoying questions. The hallmark of all these annoying questions was that the questioner could easily have found out the answer himself, but, rather than take the minimal effort to do so, opted to ask me instead. It's not that my time is so valuable that I can't help out a classmate. It's that I am irritable enough that I don't feel like helping out 5 lazy classmates. Actual interaction from today--> "Will, when is the deadline to submit this form for the journal competition?" "Look right here at your computer screen at the webpage you have pulled up right now. It tells you the answer right there in big, bold letters." He was literally looking at the answer, and rather than process the information it was easier to ask me. Normally I wouldn't mind, but that was the 4th similar type of question of the day. Let's get rolling people. Get that brain working, processing information and retaining it. We are in law school, let's use some research skills, maybe some critical thinking.

Yesterday during Civ Pro my professor literally opened his mouth to say "Good afternoon" and begin class when the fire alarm went off. Bells starting ringing, lights started flashing, and my professor looked more pissed than I've ever seen him. More pissed than when racist kid advocated racism. Fire drill = more proof that law school is high school. We got to stand outside in the drizzle for fifteen minutes talking about Boggle and singing song parodies about the fire drill (me: "Somebody call 9-1-1, shorty fire burning at the law school" - creative I know). We then had the remaining 40 minutes of class where my professor raced through explaining the Seventh Amendment and how it's reliance on common law as of 1791 is a pretty dumb idea, but nonetheless the law. Really though, fun fact, you only have the right to a jury trial in a civil case if you would have had a jury in 1791. But what about all the new laws and new causes of action that have been established since then, you ask? Good question. But don't worry, the Supreme Court is on it. You just sort through all the causes of action that existed in 1791 and find the one that most closely parallels the modern one and if there was a jury in that cause of action, then you get one now. Could that every be problematic and lead to legitimate, well-founded differences of opinion even between the 9 foremost lawyers in the entire country? You bet it could. Yay Seventh Amendment.

I mentioned Boggle before - I am all about Boggle now. I've been playing with Reza and a few other people. Seriously, what a quality game. You could say it boggles the mind how good it is. Ok, I deserve to be dropped out of a second story window for that one. But the window has to be open already - I don't deserve shards of glass.

2 comments:

  1. 1. you forgot to mention that i am awesome.

    2. I think my new catch phrase is, "don't worry, the supreme court is on it!"
    for example:
    RK: i'm so stressed out, there has recently been a new reported outbreak of swine flu!!
    SH: don't worry, the supreme court is on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. another one, thought up in the midst of memo delirium:

    CMMH (randomly picked initials): ahh! my conference in sciency science mcsciences is scheduled at the same time as my poetry reading!! whatever shall i do?
    WF: don't worry. the supreme court is on it.

    ReplyDelete