Thursday, February 25, 2010

I Have A $2 Bill and I'm Not Sure What To Do With It

Today I got cold called in Contracts. It ended up going fine (I think), but it was odd that I got cold called. I was cold called a few weeks ago, and not everyone else in the class has been cold called in the time between. Also, I went to my professor's office hours yesterday afternoon, so I can't help but wonder if it was some kind of test to see if I really like the class and if I really understand the material. Maybe I'm just being paranoid here, but something was weird about it. He went right for me!
It didn't help that when he called on me I was literally sending a text message and had not yet opened my casebook. Very irresponsible, I know. But it was within the first three minutes of class. I hadn't even signed onto gchat yet! I recovered pretty well, discreetly sliding my phone into my pocket and opening my casebook to page 842 (shazam!) while the professor was talking. Apparently I even sounded like I knew what I was talking about (Restatement section 241, the five factors, a through e, for determining whether a breach is material) (Yeah, pulled that out of nowhere). With luck, he still likes me. With further luck I won't get called on anymore this semester and not doing my reading for Friday's class in preparation for the journal competition will not come back to bite me.

Oh yeah, journal competition starts tomorrow at 4 and goes through Monday at 8. Long story short, I have to read a bunch, do citations, and write. And in return I get the chance to be on a journal, assuming I am selected for one. Being on a journal will get me some academic credit, look good on my resume, and likely bore me to death. Doing a crapton of extra work for all that reward? Let's do it. I'm super psyched. But also, I might be pretty out of commission from tomorrow afternoon until Monday evening.

Yesterday in Trader Joes I was trying to get around in the dairy aisle. I was impeded by some woman who was just staring at the eggs, blocking me from getting the eggs I wanted. I retraced my steps and took another route around the store. Five minutes later I came back to get eggs and this woman was still just looking at the eggs. What are you doing crazy egg-staring lady? I politely said "excuse me," she politely moved out of my way (nothing seemed to be "wrong" with her), and I got my eggs. Then she went back to looking at the eggs. Alright then. I liked her more than 60 year old PDA couple in the frozen aisle. Yeah, exactly what it sounds like. A couple just could not keep there hands off each other in the frozen aisle and then later on two people behind me in line, and they were generally boisterous for no reason (it is Trader Joes, it only gets so exciting...minus the peanut butter-filled pretzels). It was really odd behavior. They kind of reminded me of the couple in "Pulp Fiction" who holds up the diner at the beginning/end of the movie. I kept wanting to say something to them, but I have no idea what I would say. "Could you please keep your affection to yourself a little more? I'm trying to buy produce here." That just seems senselessly awkward. What an odd grocery shopping experience.

Why does my cell phone sometimes cause weird noises in my computer speakers?

Why is Pegasus extinct?

Are those two related? Deep thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. I tried to spend a $2 bill at Chuck E Cheeses one time. The girl behind the counter looked at it and said, "What the hell is that?" I said, "It's a $2 bill" to which she replied, "Well how much is is worth?"

    Also, I'm pretty sure 'crap-top' is hyphenated. Look it up in the dictionary to be certain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally meant to say 'crap-ton'; 'crap-top' is something completely and horribly different.

    ReplyDelete