Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Snow Day: This Is Dumb

If you wanna take a ride with me
Need to have snow tires in this city
Oh why is this city shut down?
Hey, they must be wussies.

Like my Nelly parody? I thought of it in the shower. It has not snowed in three days, yet the streets are still a mess and the past two days have been snow days. No school. Most people don't have work. As we say where I come from, this is "wicked retahded." It literally just started snowing again. This time we are expecting 10-20 inches. Oh joy. Snow on top of snow. They simply cannot remove the snow in time. I think their strategy is to wait for it to melt. Now I'm no scientist, but I do see a foil in their plan. It hasn't been above freezing for a little while! So there is no melting going on. At least not enough for it to seriously matter. This is going to end up as snow week. But I'm trying not to tempt fate. I went to school this morning and got my case books so I can do my homework. Because every elementary school child knows that if you count on a snow day and don't do work, you will inevitably have school. And a pop quiz. And you'll fail it and your parents will disown you and you'll be forced onto the street where you will eventually be raised by a pack of wolves and you will found Rome. Ok, that was one time that happened.

In a stroke of brilliance I worked out this afternoon without eating or drinking anything at all since waking up. And I increased my weights. And I was pretty dehydrated. This was not, what they refer to as "a good move." The result was me feeling like I was going to vomit. But it was slightly triumphant, mostly because I didn't vomit. Sometimes it feels good to push yourself. And sometimes it feels like aching muscles.

Yesterday I needed to get out of my apartment, so I wound up reading my previously mentioned book about Cold War diplomats at Starbucks for a couple of hours, listening to Bob Dylan on my iPod. Then I felt like a fifty year old. I wish all fevers were that easy to cure though. (The fever I am referring to here is, of course, cabin fever.) Though I don't know what Scarlet Fever is, but I always assumed it turned out into Miss Scarlet from Clue. I also thought that "Viewers Like You" was a company when I was little (and watching PBS), so judge if you must.

2 comments:

  1. Will,

    I hold the Massachusetts state record for most times having Scarlett Fever. Like Chicken Pox, you are only supposed to catch it once, I have had it three times. Abe has had it twice. Stupid Doris genes. Although that is where the height comes from.

    Anywho, Scarlett fever often acts in conjunction with Strep Throat and basically you get a rash and a fever. Get it? Scarlet Fever? It is not, as you may have assumed, a fever you get from sleeping with an adulturous puritan. Doctors are not that clever.

    -BDP

    ReplyDelete