Monday, January 18, 2010

Writing writing on my bike

I woke up this morning with a sore throat which has gradually receded over the course of the day. But it was a good enough excuse for me not to work out today. Hm. I'm becoming slightly concerned about my own laziness. Well, I did a lot of schoolwork, writing about 6 pages of my memo. So all that is due tomorrow, which is all that's important. I also applied to two jobs. That seems like a lot for a day where I didn't get out of bed until noon.

Thursday I went to Melting Pot, a fondue restaurant, with Jason, Rachel, and Josh. It was restaurant week, so we got a 4 course meal for "cheap." Courses went cheese, salad, meat, chocolate. It was good, but not my favorite. I mean, I wouldn't go there regularly. All the food was high quality, there were tons of options, and it tasted good (particularly the fillet mignon). But I had to work so damn hard for it. I cook every day for myself. I don't want to go out and pay a crapton of money to cook for myself too. I could just go to the grocery store, buy pretty much the same stuff, and then cook it in a slightly less-efficient pot of boiling whatever I'm dipping it in. Or I could buy a fondue pot and act like I'm so cool and retro, then never use it because I clearly would prefer other food to fondue. No disrespect to the restaurant. It's an experience I'm glad to have, and it was delicious. But, paradoxically, I don't want to do it again really.

After Melting Pot I went to bar review. The highlight was clearly this girl in my class doing the dance to "Single Ladies." She was spot on. I mean, she was no Beyonce. Not even a little close. But still, that's impressive. And no one is Beyonce.

This weekend Eva came to visit, which was awfully nice of her. Granted, her sister also lives here, so I can accuse her of mixed motives, but that's just fine. Friday night we went out with some fun people to Sign of the Whale. It's a nice bar close by, that I've actually never been to. So that was a good experience. In addition to the regular top 40 crap that everywhere plays they played a good deal of 80's music. You could say it shook me all night long. Until 3 am when I got jumbo slice with Carissa. Always a good choice. $4 for basically a quarter of a pizza. How could you not at 3 am? There's no downside. Also, at Sign of the Whale, it was a bartender's last night and she clearly did not care about anything. She gave away free drinks to her friends (not just any free drinks, Patron and Johnnie Walker), and charged arbitrarily low prices ($10 for two shots and a beer, you've got a deal!). Not to mention, she was actually incredible at being a bartender - I watched her make the fastest Long Island Iced Tea ever. I was impressed.

Saturday I went out to a party in Virginia. Really? Virginia? Didn't the secede? That's gross. Actually it wasn't bad. It was pretty fun. It's Beirut, not beer pong, though. Most people are confused, I've noticed. There's more to Saturday than that, I'm sure, but I can't think of it at the moment.

2 comments:

  1. I've been to Virginia before, it's not that great. But hey, at least it's not Maryland, right???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure Saturday's other highlights included the West Wing pilot and grocery shopping. And me, obviously.

    ReplyDelete