Monday, January 4, 2010

Semester: Take 2

Today was the first day of classes of the second semester. I'm actually excited for Constitutional Law. The professor is a visiting faculty member from Duke. He has a Ph.D. in Theology and a southern accent. A number of my classmates said he was difficult to understand. I think they are being elitists and need to open themselves up to respecting different types of people. When pressed their complaint was actually that he speaks too softly. I have no adequate retort. Maybe listen harder? Grow bigger ears? The professor also insists that we not use computers during class. It's going to be hard to gchat without a computer. I'm actually a fan of this policy. It's going to force me to pay attention to a subject that I'm interested in. As weird as it sounds, there was actually a chance I wouldn't do that. The perils of law school.

Another peril of law school will be going to my LRW class tomorrow (now formally called "Introduction to Advocacy," which makes it sound like I don't know how to advocate a position - if you know me, then you know this is not true. I am an excellent advocate of anger, refer to the following). The peril in going to the class mostly entails sitting quietly, feigning interest rather than throwing the projector through the white board and attempting to incite violent overthrow of my professor's tyrannical rule. Seriously, he sucks. The class is the one thing in his life he has control over; he certainly doesn't have control over his work or personal life what with being a fifth year associate. It's all he has man. Please, take out the fact that you are at the whim of your managing partner 24 hours a day on a class of first year law students, that would be great.

There are a ton of things that happened over break. Too many to recount all of them. But Mostly I saw a ton of people, which was really nice. I'm not sure if there was any day that I only hung out with one person. And even with that I still did not get to see everyone I wanted to see, or see some people (if not everyone) as much as I would have liked.

New Years Eve was spent in Boston. Me, Jonah, Jessie, Caitlin, Molly, and Eli got a hotel room. Other people, including BDP (yay) and Nelson (boo...big time) came by. I have no idea how everyone got there. The hotel was in the South End, where, despite being from Boston, I have spent barely any time. Plus driving on New Years Eve isn't exactly the greatest idea. We slightly trashed the hotel room. Molly spilled something gross on the closet door, Jonah almost jammed the window, someone almost broke the bathtub, etc. The next morning there was a good deal to clean up - mostly taken care of by me and Caitlin. After pregaming at the hotel, we went to a club nearby. (Sidenote: I hate clubs. They are sketchy, expensive, and loud. Any place that date rape seems prevalent I just can't get behind. The club was clearly the girls idea. Something along the lines of needing to dance. I've never said "I just need to dance" in my life.) The club was close, and we were all a little warm on the inside, so we wisely did not bring our coats on the way to the club. It was late December (and then early January) in Boston, so it was clearly freezing. The five minute walk included getting slightly lost, so that was bad enough. Then we picked up our pre-ordered tickets from the bouncer and were told to wait on line to get in. Wait on line?? We have tickets! So did everyone else in line, it turned out. We were probably on line for a solid seven minutes, but that was seven minutes of awfulness. Why didn't we bring our coats again? Oh right, because we are idiots. By the time we got to the front of the line I had never been happier to get into a club. Of course that faded quickly when I had to save Jessie from sketchy guys three times in the first five minutes. What do you expect? Clubs suck.

Another highlight of break involved getting Matt Brown drunk. If I had a super power, it would be the power of peer pressure. And I certainly used it on Saturday night against Matt Brown. The best part was that it was planned out with Keara and Matt Francis beforehand, and then executed perfectly. In fairness, I am not the one who brought out the bottle of tequila. The fact that it was tequila was just an added bonus. But techniques such as bringing a lime and salt for easy use worked perfectly. I hope Matt Brown had a good time. We did sing songs for him! (Matt Brown, you don't have to put on the red light.) And we got some choice quotes. ("There are only so many nights in a day.") Leah laughed until she cried when Matt Brown fell off a chair. Whoopsies. We also spent a lot of time singing that Miley Cyrus song...again. But now, after hearing it enough times, I sort of know the words. That's a little embarrassing, but not more than her (or, to be more accurate, whoever wrote the song for her) attempt to rhyme "crazy" with "famous" or the line "the butterflies fly away." I've mentioned how dumb that line is to a lot of people and just about every girl has responded, "You know, like the butterflies in her stomach." Yes, I know. But it doesn't make that a better lyric.

1 comment:

  1. LIAR!!

    you said that was your favorite line. fact: even in the middle of a different conversation, you stopped to sing that one line. you love that song, suck it.

    love, erica :)

    ReplyDelete