Saturday, January 9, 2010

So much meat. For serious.

Last night I headed up to Baltimore for Nakul's birthday. It was my first time being in Baltimore and to appropriately prepare for the occasion I emptied my wallet of all non-essential items and brought only things I would be alright with if they got stolen. Turns out that wasn't necessary - I didn't even get mugged. But really, from what I hear about Baltimore, you are just playing the odds. Actually, Baltimore was a nice city from what I saw of it. It had some lovely architecture. It also had a place for bail bonds. That was a little disturbing. But Nakul's apartment is quite nice, and he enjoyed rubbing it in my face that he pays far less for far more.

His parents took us out to this Brazilian restaurant that serves...well...meat. They give you a little thing that looks like a coaster, one side is green and the other is red. When you want meat you flip it to green. When you no longer want meat you flip it to red. After grabbing a little bit at the extensive salad bar (they had incredible sun dried tomatoes, if you were wondering) I flipped to green. And immediately roving waiters holding large sticks with various types of meat on them descended on the table. They offer different types of meat and different cuts. So good. Sirloin, fillet, fillet wrapped in bacon, lamb, lamb chops, pork chops, chicken wrapped in bacon, to name the ones that I remember eating. And multiple servings of many of them. Everything was good, the fillet and the sirloin were nothing short of incredible. **Bad pun alert** To find meat that delicious is rare. All in all I ate two plates of salad and a whopping six plates of meat. I am absolutely certain that I gained weight from that one meal. I also clogged some arteries and raised my blood pressure. And 22 hours later my stomach has still not forgiven me. "Why did you put so much into me?" It wants to know. "Because the meat was so delicious, stomach. And because I don't eat things that good...ever. So stop complaining and start digesting." But seriously, eating today has been an issue. I'm still recovering and putting down the revolt that my stomach is attempting. Also, working out today hurt really badly. You ever get the meat sweats? While I was actually sweating because of the running it felt kind of like the meat sweats. Gross. I haven't had that much meat since eating at a BBQ restaurant named Bullocks in Durham, NC after the Duke Invitational.

After stuffing ourselves, we had the courage to go out to a bar. Nakul got bought a number of drinks. He ended up having what appeared to be a fantastic night. I ended up arguing about Zionism with one of his friends, who I then befriended, while drinking National Bohemian: the classiest beer of them all. And this morning I have an inexplicable and invisible bruise on my left arm. Is it a bruise if it's invisible? I don't know. But something hurts.

And the first week of law school contained 3 cancelled classes, with only one make up class. That's just fine with me. Property looks interesting, which is good because I feel like that class has a huge potential for sucking. Thursday in Property, with about four minutes left in class, the kid who last semester in Civil Procedure basically advocated racism said something really dumb about the inherent rationality of the free market which, for some reason, included the sentence "If God wanted, he could have made the moon black." I couldn't tell you exactly what his point was, but it was something Milton Friedman-esk about how we shouldn't interfere with any decisions that the market makes because the market will always do what is best for itself (untrue, in fact at the time we were discussing a case where a company made the economically irrational decision to exclude a patron at random - just to prove that it could). Ok, he said something dumb. That kind of thing happens all the time. But after class two separate people came separately came up to me and told me how much they enjoyed watching my face while this kid was speaking. Apparently my expression was full of obvious rage and disbelief at the inane crap that I was hearing and they were amused by this. The funny part is that I wasn't even consciously making any face. I certainly was thinking about how wrong he was, but I didn't try to outwardly manifest anything. I suppose I am very expressive, particularly around morons. (Almost typed "mormons" there by accident. Whoops.) I should probably make sure I don't do that in important situations. But for now, I'm glad to be of some entertainment value.

3 comments:

  1. Was that Fogo de Chao? That place is awesome. I don't eat for three days before going there just so I have room to cram as much food as possible in my gullet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, that's the place. It is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG you went to rodizio. brazilian barbeque. my family used to have this rodizio place in newark that we went to when we felt like making Carnivore Ben happy. Meat is so delicious.

    The real question, though, is did you eat any chicken hearts. My dad is all about the chicken hearts.

    -elana

    ReplyDelete