Wednesday, January 27, 2010

He Shall, From Time to Time, Eat Cookies?

State of the Union was tonight. It left me with mixed feelings. I definitely do not support everything that President Obama said. He threw a lot of bones to conservatives on jobs, the economy, taxes, nuclear energy, and offshore drilling. At the same time he talked about clean energy, green jobs, education, health care reform, and, incredibly, Don't Ask Don't Tell. Some of those things might now play so well with most conservatives. He also probably offended a few professions (bankers and lobbyists come to mind...also terrorists). He additionally reminded Congress that they have to do some governing once in a while. Democrats, you still have 59 seats. There is no excuse for not legislating, even if you have to make politically risky decisions once in a while. Republicans, you can't just be obstructionists and score cheap political points; that's not why you were elected to Congress. I like that stuff. Also, if there's one thing in contemporary politics you can count on it is the Obama speech writing staff. They are fantastic. And Vice-President Biden being goofy on camera. I thought at one point he was going to lose it laughing in the background.

There are not enough hours in the day. Between eating, sleeping, procrastinating, watching the State of the Union, working, going to class, procrastinating, playing facebook scrabble, and eating more, I just don't have time to do everything. But apparently I have time to update my blog. Curious.

I was in a talk today (about the client counseling competition I'm doing this weekend) and everyone around me was coughing every 2 seconds. It drove me absolutely nuts. I was trying to pay attention to some guy in a suit talking about something (you can tell that it really got through to me), and all I can focus on is the germs everyone is spreading and, more importantly, the disruption everyone is causing. I mean, I know yawning is contagious, but coughing? Seriously guys, you can control it. Lock it up. And I seriously doubt that 15 people in a room of 30 have colds or illnesses that truly necessitate that degree of coughing.

Next week for LRW we have 5 minute oral arguments. They are ungraded. I am seriously considering doing my oral argument in a JFK accent. First, it would be amusing to me. Second, it could be amusing to others. Third, it would probably piss of my professor. And fourth (actually what gave me the idea), the accent is a lot slower, giving me a lot more time to think before I speak. "Your honor, ask not what my client can do for you, ask instead what you can do for my client. You can grant her motion to suppress evidence, to begin with..." Better than trying to do it in a Russian accent!

A very merry unbirthday to you. Except you, Caitlin. You don't get an unbirthday today.

I sent in another application today! To Attorney General Martha Coakley. She's probably in a really good mood these days and totally wants to hire me as an intern for the summer. At least that's what I'm hoping. Someone suggested I go work for Scott Brown this summer since he doesn't have interns yet. I think I laughed in their face. The little 'R' next to his name is a likely problem for me. As are many of his views. Here's one that I have a problem with: making women pay for their own rape kits. Not cool, man.

1 comment:

  1. Every time I read your blog, I just want to punch a 6th grader to share in your angry. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete