Monday, January 25, 2010

Biggest Flaw

On a job interview (which I wish I had), I hate the question "What is your biggest flaw?" So far the best answer I've been able to come up with is, "My biggest flaw is that I'm not good at identifying flaws in myself." I wonder how an interviewer would react to that. Probably not well. Unless they were awesome, had a sense of humor, and realized that they asked me a dumb question. Really, what are they hoping to get out of that question? Are they looking for humility? I have no idea.

G-Day, the day where we storm the beaches of Normandy and receive our grades, went over pretty well. Of course I still am missing 2 of my 5 grades. My Criminal Law professor I can sort of understand. He had two sections of students, so over 150 total. That could take a while. My Torts professor, however, (yes, the infamous Torts professor) is still losing points in my book for once again demonstrating just how much he doesn't care about his students. Torts was my small section. It was a class of 35. It was also the exam we took first, so he had that much extra time. Dude, you get paid to be a professor and to grade our exams. Just do it. Get it over with. Give us our grades back so when we send in transcripts to potential employers we don't have to explain why we don't have all of our grades back. I have to do that. I'm holding out a couple more days on printing out my transcript, on the off-chance that we actually get the grade. Until the bitter end!

I got cold-called today in Civil Procedure. And Friday in Contracts. And Wednesday in Constitutional Law. So within 4 days of classes I got cold-called in 3 of 4 possible classes. Conspiracy? Luck? Anti-luck? Who knows. But I don't have to read carefully in any of those classes for a while! That's not to say that I won't read carefully. Just saying I could slack off if I were so inclined.

Lots of people are complaining about Con Law. **Begin whining here** There aren't clear rules for the professor to just tell them. It seems so argumentative and subjective. The Constitution isn't clear. Some of the cases are old and not written in contemporary English. My stomach hurts. John Marshall is a poopface. **End whining here**
Their biggest gripe is basically that they have to think about the issues for themselves and can't simply memorize a list or rules. How terrible. I love it! This is why I went to law school. I get to think about both sides, form an opinion, and find reasons to back it up (and yell at everyone who disagrees because they are clearly wrong). It's fantastic. So much better when there isn't a rule which is the end-all answer. Come up with your own argument and think things through. Don't strain yourself by working too hard, griping classmates.

1 comment: