Friday, December 24, 2010

Panic! In the Parking Lot

Last night I had a dream. I was not judged by the color of my skin, but rather by the quality of my Administrative Law final examination. And I was not judged well, let me tell you. That's a true fake story.

Last night I saw "The Blue Flower" at the A.R.T. The only reaction to it I have for sure is the most pretentious one I can think of. It was very Brechtian. Aside from that, I feel like I missed the message. Why was I there? What did I learn? It was an enjoyable experience, but I feel somehow empty. It was a musical, and I am not the biggest musical connoisseur, but the music was actually good. I was fine with the musical aspect because they did not try to have a regular story which was interrupted perpetually by song and dance numbers. I hate musicals where they want it to be realistic, but then everyone breaks into a choreographed dance number. Then they go back to normal as if not everyone walking down main street eerily happened to know the words to the same song and sang it in three part harmony. That is unbelievable so do not try to make me believe the underlying story. Musicals like The Blue Flower (or Rocky Horror Picture Show!) don't even try to approach realism. They are not pushing some two-bit love story where emotion is expressed through the arts of song and dance and all of the characters act like this is completely normal. If you are going to have a show with music, make it absurd in some way. Because the musical genre is itself absurd. If you embrace the absurdity, then I am a lot more likely to be contented as an audience member because there isn't this disconnect between the purported reality and the music. Curse you "The Music Man." End tirade.

HP tech support could have been more helpful. Like, the first time I called they could have helped me fix my problem in a much simpler way (which they did the second time I called). Though I must compliment the first person I spoke to on his English. The second person doesn't get a compliment on her English because she had a southern accent and was not clearly based in India.

I spent most of yesterday afternoon running errands with my mom. This involved going to one mall and two supermarkets. List of places designed to piss me off on the days leading up to a major holiday: mall and supermarkets. There were so many morons to contend with it was simply incredible. From the parking lot to the line for the cashiers, people were being unintelligible, unaware imbeciles. Ma'am, I understand that you are searching for the perfect pomegranate, but you are literally holding up twelve people trying to get by you. Sir, do you not see the two "Do Not Enter" signs that you are driving past at the moment? It was a huge mess. Towards the end of the day my mother remarked that I seemed angry. I told her I was always angry. For some reason she didn't believe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment