Sunday, June 13, 2010

Memo

What is it about Sunday morning that just makes you want to read the news? Well I'm awake, I spent the past few nights enjoying myself, and I have the impending doom of the workweek looming over me; guess I should know what is going on in the world. I feel very much like my parents sitting around drinking coffee and reading the New York Times. Only my NYT is delivered every morning in the form of a laptop computer screen. And I am nowhere near good enough to do the crossword puzzle, which really loses a little of its zing when it is 1) online, and 2) Google is a tab away should I reach a plateau of frustration.

My first 40-hour workweek (I think ever) was last week. It was not too bad. I do not really enjoy waking up early and having to focus before 11, but besides that it isn't terrible. What else would I be doing most of that time? Sleeping or sitting around mostly. Might as well do something productive, gain some experience, and get used to being around lawyers for prolonged periods of time.
So far I have learned that I do not enjoy walking behind wide, slow people in narrow corridors, that sports talk is a great way to be friendly (Beat LA), and that I know a lot less than all the attorneys.
Knowing a lot less plus not having any legal writing experience besides my stupid LRW class (which I didn't exactly ace anyways) made writing my first assigned memo a little daunting. Whereas for class it takes a week or two to write a memo, for work it took a day. That's a bit of an acceleration. The memo was essentially on whether there is any precedent for an argument the other side of a case is making. My answer turned out to be "no" (I hope that's correct because I could have totally messed that up!), which made research even more difficult. Searching for something that doesn't exist is a conundrum, and I certainly didn't scour the entire earth to make sure I was correct. I did, however, do a lot of research and end up pretty confident in my conclusion. But it is like asking whether there are any people in the world with blue skin. I assume not based on my knowledge and research (Blanca from Street Fighter aside), but I wouldn't actually know unless I checked every single person, which would be impractical to say the least. Anyway, I wrote the memo and sent it in at 4:57 on Friday. I was intimidated and had to proofread it a lot, and now I am spending the entire weekend wondering whether it was sufficiently good to merit my being hired for this position, or whether it was absolute garbage and I do not even deserve the desk and uncomfortable chair I was assigned.

Last night I played Trivial Pursuit and came across a question that was punctuated incorrectly. Something along the lines of: Who said in his presidential campaing, "It's the economy stupid"?
Where is that question mark going, Trivial Pursuit? You have to figure that out, get a better editor.

If I could cook like Anthony Bourdain that would be just fine with me.

I narrowly escaped seeing a friend of mine from high school ,whom I have not seen in five years, belly dance at a restaurant. That had a high potential for awkwardness.

You would think that Ginger Ale should get red-heads drunk.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the Trivial Pursuit editor was British. They use quotation marks differently than we do. One might argue that they use them more intelligently.

    However, I doubt you show the British any mercy. Especially when they're making American board games.

    -elana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your legitimacy in questioning the Trivial Pursuit questioners is severely undermined by your adjacent misspelling of the word "campaign."

    Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete