Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Week One

One week of work down, nine to go, and I must say it was a fairly pleasurable week (for work). I have worked on a couple of billable projects and one large pro bono project, but I am still feeling like I can take on a little more. This is all in between attorney (read: free) lunches and a few social events.

Wednesday, for example, two energy associates took the two energy summers out to lunch. It was on top of the W Hotel, a pretty swanky place with a great view. We talked some shop and learned about the firm a bit, but mostly we hung out and enjoyed the food. For about two hours, although in fairness the service was incredibly slow. That evening was a dinner for summer associates with a smattering of attorneys. We were scheduled to meet at 5:45 to head to the restaurant, but at 4:55 we received an email from the recruiting coordinator asking the summers whether we would rather meet at scheduled or meet at 5:07 in the lobby to go to happy hour. Although I have a propensity towards indecision, that was a no-brainer. This was also about an hour and a half after I had gotten back from lunch; clearly, I got a lot of work done that day.

The dinner itself was at a nice steakhouse downtown. The summers were talking with attorneys over dessert when the most senior partner present (who was incidentally also the most intimidating partner) started to give a “toast” extolling the virtues of the firm. After his brief speech, he basically ordered everyone present, summers, associates, and partners alike, to go around the table and say something interesting about themselves. Twice, because one of the partners could not think of anything on her first go around. After the second time around the table (we all thought he might go for four or five) he asked a junior partner, “So Greg, where are you taking them out tonight?” To which Greg spluttered, “I guess we are going to Post.” All of the summers then had no choice but to go out to the bar. Not that I am really complaining, but I think being commanded to go drinking is a first. I will relish the memory of clinging to sobriety while listening to a partner explain antitrust law.

That evening I dragged myself home around 11:30. The next morning was difficult getting up at 6:30 to work out. And I needed to run that morning –I had a three course lunch and a four course dinner. Sticking to running is quite necessary. Friday’s lunch was at Fogo de Chao, an all you can eat Brazilian steakhouse, the kind where they just bring you huge skewers of meat and cut it onto your plate. The two associates and three summers did our best not to stuff ourselves into oblivion. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I know that I was doing a cost/benefit analysis in my head as to the deliciousness of the next piece of meat vs. how much it was going to make my stomach hurt. I am still regretting that last piece of bacon wrapped chicken. But, unlike the first time I went to Fogo with Nakul, I didn’t mess up my stomach for the next few days. I just was full for the next 24 hours. Thursday, all of the summers went to lunch together so we could just get a salad and not have to worry about multi-course, high protein meals.

I know it sounds like it, but work is not all excesses. There is actual work that gets done, but that’s not as exciting to write about. What is exciting enough to write about is the chair I pilfered from an empty office down the hall. I am going to be king of office supplies!

As Shaked and I approached Kerry’s building last night, a woman was waiting outside to be let in. She was visibly intoxicated and doing a little “I really have to pee” dance. The lady pressed seemingly random numbers on the keypad trying to get let in, then called her friend in the building and complained that the keypad was broken. Then she tried the keypad again and cursed something about it being broken and having to press the pound key. Upon seeing us, she asked whether we were going into the building. We said yes. She assumed we had a key and could have let her in (untrue) but were not and told us, “I don’t blame you for not wanting to let me in, I might be a lunatic. Hahaha.” Might be? I would never have let that woman in, even if I had a key.

Sometimes there is just not enough coffee in the world to get you where you are going.

Why is dry cleaning such an exclusive club? Why can’t I do it? It would make my life easier. Can I just turn my shower on hot and hang my suit in the bathroom?

For some people there is just no pleasing. For everyone else there is pie.

I like the prospect of doing energy law. It is a chance to do “biglaw” without doing “evil.” I like the idea of helping companies, even big ones that make a lot of money, do “good” things, like set up renewable energy projects. That seems to qualify as “good,” in that it is not contributing to activities like spilling oil, hiking up gas prices, or destroying the natural habitat of endangered species. I am not certain that the same opportunities would present themselves doing securities regulation or ERISA litigation (shoot me now).

No comments:

Post a Comment