Monday, May 2, 2011

Party at the White House

Tonight I ended up going to the White House to celebrate the assassination of Osama bin Laden. Admittedly, I find it somewhat perverse to celebrate an assassination. But what he stood for was so antithetical to the United States, that his killing is important as a point of national morale and pride as well as as a historical event. I feel that whatever semblance of closure this gives for the September 11th attacks is a good thing. I am also outraged that he was apparently discovered in a mansion in Pakistan. He could have had his own episode of MTV Cribs. This illustrates a huge problem between the U.S. and Pakistan, to say the least.
All that aside, I feel very good about America tonight and proud to be an American. We did something we are very good at: kicking ass and taking names. A number of times at the "party" outside the White House I heard someone spontaneously say, "We shot that [naughty expletive involving mothers] in the face!" I am not the only one who would love to see an interview with the Navy Seal, or whatever special forces member, who put a bullet in bin Laden. I also am waiting for the cinematic depiction of the epic firefight in a Pakistani mansion, coming soon to a theater near you.

My favorite comment of the night was, "I hope they stuff him and put him up in the Smithsonian." Sorry to disappoint you, Mr. Red White and Blue Shirt, but I don't think that is going to happen.

I found it fantastically amusing that people were smoking pot and drinking beer 200 yards away from the White House. Secret Service seemed a little nervous at the spontaneous gathering. This was the first time I saw snipers on the President's roof. Now there's a heck of a job. But most of the law enforcement that happened involved pulling drunk revelers out of trees and down from lamp posts on Pennsylvania Avenue.

In the crowd I happened to bump into a bunch of people from school. Quite lucky for such a large crowd. My friend Joe was enthused at the prospect of Obama coming onto the White House lawn and shotgunning a victory beer. This surprisingly did not happen.
Besides singing patriotic songs, the crowd's favorite chants seemed to be, "USA. USA," and "Na-na-na-na. Na-na-na-na. Hey hey hey. Goodbye." The tastefulness of the latter is questionable, yet it is still sickly amusing. There was a (unfortunate?) lack of "Team America" singing, but some still got used.

What a night.

1 comment:

  1. oh.. i can't wait for the movie. I hope it comes out by Christmas!

    ReplyDelete