Tuesday, February 8, 2011

One of those days

It was just one of those days. Something dumb happened at every turn. The day started out well in Crim Pro, with two police officers coming in to talk to the class about Terry stop-and-frisks. A student volunteer frisked one of the officers in an attempt to find all the weapons concealed on his body. She did an admirable job, but only found about 7 of the 15 weapons he had. She totally missed the small knife he had clipped to the back of his tie. But hey, I probably would not have found that either.
After the officers left, things went down hill. In addition to the usual "jibba-jabba" that goes on in that class, including New Gunner's incessant attempts to appear smart, people who I generally consider to be intelligent began making moronic comments. A friend was attempting to argue against a distinction that the Supreme Court made between predictive and descriptive anonymous tips, but made the crucial mistake of not thinking before he spoke. He had to be reminded that "predictive" indicates future action. That's just part of the definition of predictive, you don't have to be a law student to get that. (Thus, giving a description of a black male wearing a plaid shirt at a bus stop is not predictive, whereas describing a woman who will leave a specific apartment at a specific time and travel in a particular car to a particular motel is predictive. See Florida v. J.L. But this distinction was apparently lost on my friend.)

Then a student who was clearly not paying attention got cold called in Tax. He was first unable to recall the only important phrase from a case we read despite the professor having repeated it approximately a dozen times. And even after the professor gave him the answer, he was unable to remember it or use it when given hypos to answer. It was awful and made the other 139 people in the class give a collective eye roll. It would have been a horrible class period had my professor not saved it by regaling us with a story about drinking beer and playing darts at a bar in Wyoming.

As I said today, I thought that when I went to college I would get rid of all the stupid people around in high school. Then there were stupid people in college. I thought when I went to law school I would get rid of the stupid people in college. Then there were stupid people in law school. (More than in college, really.) Now, I am beginning to accept that I will never be rid of stupid people.

Hey, there are some not stupid people in the world. Caitlin just got into vet school, so congratulations to her. You will soon need her services, you are a sick puppy.

Tomorrow will be a lovely, long day featuring 7:45 am class and a 7:30 pm meeting. They are both for journal. For some possibly insane reason I am seriously contemplating participating in my journal's editorial board competition so that I can be an editor next year. Why? I don't know. It's a resume line? It could be interesting? Emphasis on could. For some reason I have a compulsion towards resume lines and "achievement." It is disturbing to me.
My 7:30 meeting will happily include giving constructive feedback to other students on my journal about the first draft of their notes. I will likewise receive feedback on my first draft. My major challenge for tomorrow night is finding a polite way to explain to a fellow student that citing Alan Dershowitz for historical facts about Israeli-Palestinian relations is not legitimate. He is neither unbiased nor a historian, and as a reader I become skeptical of any argument relying on the Middle East according to Alan Dershowitz.
Remember that time he tried to debate Jimmy Carter? Yup, he should probably remember that he is a lawyer, not a foreign policy expert.

1 comment:

  1. Stupid people are everywhere and you will always be angry.

    ReplyDelete