Sunday, February 6, 2011

"O'er the ramparts we watched" - Remember?

And so comes and goes another Super Bowl. I did not care particularly about the outcome, although my preferred team did end up on top. There was some good football I got to watch, and some commercials I got to critique. But for me the highlight of the broadcast came before the first kickoff when Christina Aguilera fumbled the words to the National Anthem. That seems like a fairly large gaffe. Some of the commentary is saying, "Well at least she was actually singing." I think it is a sad day when "actually singing" is something to be commended rather than something to be expected. Her lyrical lapse and her poor vocal performance were poor, to say the least.
Another great part of the Super Bowl was the shot of Cameron Diaz feeding Alex Rodriguez in the stands. This will not be forgotten come the baseball season.

For Jason and Gavi's Super Bowl party I made my own buffalo sauce and used it to make buffalo quesadillas. They were pretty good, but I made an abundance of them and am now the proud owner of about a pound of them. I guess I will bring them to school tomorrow to see if anyone wants them? Should that fail, do you think homeless people like buffalo quesadillas?

According to the Chicago Manual of Style it is proper in all settings, formal and informal, to use only one space after a period at the end of a sentence. I was always taught two, but Rule 6.7 of the Manual corrected me: "In typeset matter, one space, not two, should be used between two sentenceswhether the first ends in a period, a question mark, an exclamation point, or a closing quotation mark or parenthesis."
Also, the Chicago Manual of Style has free 30 day trial subscriptions online. Just in case anyone was interested.

Facebook Scrabble has been frustrating of late. I am gradually coming to loath the letters "C," "I," and "K." Together they spell ick, which is generally what I think when I have too many of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment