Thursday, September 23, 2010

This Was Not the Comedy We Intended to do When the Week Began

I think I have a note topic picked out. I want to title the note in a glib manner which I am certain will get me yelled at by my notes editor. I want to call it "Here's A Bad Idea: Humanitarian Intervention after Natural Disasters." Maybe I'll even write it in a way that doesn't make people want to gouge their eyes out rather than read it all.

I had a networking meeting with a big-shot lawyer today. He was very nice to me, but he told me something unbelievable. Immediately after law school he worked as an associate at a prominent Chicago firm for two years. He left the firm to go work as legislative counsel to a senator and got a pay increase. The Senate paid him more than the private firm, but, as he said, "Private firms took care of that in a hurry."

That's all I will say about the stressful black hole that is the job search. However, I will say that Justice Scalia, despite being a brilliant legal mind, is kind of homophobic. In a dissent from the Court opinion striking down an anti-homosexual sodomy law he wrote:
"Today's opinion is the product of a Court, which is the product of a law-profession culture, that has largely signed on to the so-called homosexual agenda, by which I mean the agenda promoted by some homosexual activists directed at eliminating the moral opprobrium that has traditionally attached to homosexual conduct."
Despite his use of the word opprobrium, which I admittedly had to look up (it means the disgrace or the reproach incurred by conduct considered outrageously shameful...and some law clerk must have been pretty smug when he suggested it), and despite my cherry picking of a quotation, that's pretty ridiculous. While it comes in the context of a legal argument, that legal argument is essentially that many people dislike homosexuals and want to discriminate against them, and that we should let them through state legislatures because their rights are not historically fundamental in our society. Anyone want to remind Justice Scalia about the treatment of African-Americans in this country in the nineteenth century? Or want to discuss Equal Protection? (Justice O'Connor did!)

Can I give my old laptop a viking funeral on the Potomac?

How important is exercise really? What if I ate pecan sandies instead of running?

As per my suggestion related to a case we read in Corporations, I now believe that the Pope should turn the Catholic Church into a gigantic Chuck E Cheese. Think about the size of the ball pits that would produce!

There are some athletes where all I want to do is damage their personal property to get back at them for messing up so badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment