Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Where Have I Been?

Whoa, I totally have been falling down on the job of blogging this month. I apologize for that gentle reader (Miss Manners, anyone? Wow my childhood was weird). I have been running around organizing my move, moving, finishing moving details, and beginning law school stuff version 2L. But now I am back in DC, with a relatively organized apartment which was luckily not wrecked by my sublet. My mother was quite nice to drive me down. We made good time to New Jersey: 3.5 hours from Boston to get over the GW Bridge. Avoided New York traffic so it should have been a piece of cake from there, right? Wrong. I spent the next 6 hours in traffic between the armpit and the ant (New Jersey and Delaware) before finally getting to DC. I had to restrain my road rage a little bit because my mom was in the car, but I definitely *ahem* "had words for" this lady in a Chevy who cut me off coming out of a rest stop into a traffic jam, nearly running me into another car. Sorry mom!

So now I am back, immersed in the fall recruiting process (FRP) - a preposterous exercise where we search for jobs for next summer despite the fact that it is still August of this summer. Apparently most of 1L was to get us to this point so we could get a job for 2L summer. I am currently going through some on-campus interviews (OCI), which is akin to what I imagine speed dating to be like. People who have 'screening interviews' wait around a hotel for their pre-scheduled appointments with different law firms. We get 20 minutes per interview, and who knows what they are looking for in these things? I think they have been going well so far, I have demonstrated that I can be personable and articulate, and that I am not intensely socially awkward (which is more of an accomplishment than you might think). But interviewers have around 20 interviews a day - how do you stand out there except in a bad way? I sometimes contemplate doing ridiculous things like asking if I can order room service or just taking off my pants, but then I remember the rule of wedding crashing - do not draw attention to yourself in a negative way. That's right, "Wedding Crashers" is the only reason that I don't do ridiculous things. Thanks Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson!

I will update more soon, and with more frequency. But, predictably, I have more stuff to do. Crime never sleeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment