Sunday, August 22, 2010

Law of Large Numbers

Stephen Strasburg strained a flexor tendon in his pitching arm; I strained my patience for writing cover letters. I am (sort of) attempting to go with Shaked's idea and let the law of large numbers work its magic. That is to say, if I apply to enough places one of them is bound to want me, right?? To glance at my resume and say "He is the one!" It's a rough job market out there, that's the one thought that keeps getting drilled into us. So while I do not take rejection as an ego blow, I can only hope that my persistence pays off. I do get bored of the endless cover letters, however (Exhibit A: this blog entry).
Of course, there are still some places I would actually prefer to work, and I am not at the stage of being completely un-picky just yet. Though that could change sometime soon.

Last night I was half-watching "Inglorious Bastards" at a pregame at Damien's house. It started out as a few guys watching, some of whom had never seen it before (myself included). More people came, and I was still trying to keep an eye on the movie. It was difficult for me because I didn't bring my glasses and I do not have best eye sight in the world, meanwhile there are a lot of subtitles. I remarked on this and a girl's response was "There aren't many subtitles in this movie." "Well, the last half an hour has been entirely subtitled because they are all speaking German, and they are subtitles on the screen right now...so, I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you," was my polite response.

There are a lot of things I just never learned about, like matting in picture frames. When was I supposed to learn about that?

Damien busted out matzah last night and gave me a piece to eat. That was probably the first time I have ever eaten matzah in August. What a random thing to have lying around the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment