Sunday, August 29, 2010

Law School v. 2.0

Tomorrow is the first day of classes. Holy crap I am so much more prepared for it this time than I was last year. Last year I didn't know anything. I was getting thrown into the deep end with no lifeguard. This time I am swan-diving into the pool, only I mess up the dive a little bit and end up hurting my shoulders and dignity. I am actually excited to learn in my classes (Con Law II, Administrative Law, Corporations, and US Foreign Relations Law), but I am not excited about journal nor the job search. Those are my big downers. Like a New Year's resolution I am sure this won't last, but I really am going to try to maintain a decent work schedule along the 9 to 5 lines. My alarm is set for 8 am, and I am prepared to be cranky but productive in the morning.

The swamp that is DC is still hot. I do not enjoy breaking a sweat walking around outside after the sun has gone down. I feel like ever since I got here I have just been showering constantly. One in the morning, one after I work out, and then a third because I unintentionally got really sweaty just from walking around. Not cool (hot and sweaty, in fact).

This weekend was Glenn Beck's "Restoring Honor" rally, so a lot of attendees/tourists were in town. It was pretty easy to pick them out. They were mostly overweight, white, and dumpy-looking. The rally's standard uniform was a tucked-in t-shirt that either had a rally logo on it or just an American Flag - just to show how much they loved America. I was honestly a little scared by these people. I kept wanting to stop and make conversation, just to see how it went. I'm not saying they are bad, ignorant, or bigoted people - I am just interested in how you could be so moved by Glenn Beck that you forfeit your weekend and spend money to come to a three hour rally in the heat on the National Mall. I don't get it. I live here and I couldn't be bothered to attend (granted I 1) had a meeting and 2) disagree with just about everything this rally stands for). I want to know what the motivation is. I think the only way I'd cross state lines to go to a rally is if someone really awesome were there...someone like Tina Fey. Yeah, I'd go see her. Throw in Alec Baldwin and I'm there.
Also, conservatives wake up really early! The rally started at 10 am, that means tens of thousands of people got up, navigated a strange public transportation system, and got settled all by 10 in the morning. There is no way I could manage that.

No comments:

Post a Comment