Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I Am Iron Man 2 by Black Sabbath 2

Been bad with updating since I got to Boston. Perhaps because this is a law blog, see the title, and no law is currently going on. But I rarely write about law. Bad excuse, but I'm sticking to it.

Having time to unwind is odd and almost unnatural. I'm not going 100mph and I don't have 67 pages of reading tonight. Heck, the ambulance alarms outside don't even wake me up (because there aren't many). It's taking some getting used to.
The alumni show helped. All but 2 alumni were there, and it was quite nice to see everyone. Matt and Leor came in from Chicago. Gorman from New York. Me from DC. A bunch of people made the long, dangerous journey from Allston, which likely required a herculean effort. So far a journey and it is no wonder they were the ones who got there late to warm up.
My little babies (Celia and Erica) are all growed up and graduating. (Don't do it!) But the current group is still lots of fun and strong at improv, so it is good to know that the legacy continues. The future looks bright. The show - what a party. But what's after the party? The after party. Ethan was too much of a woman to keep up with me. Celia was inexplicably two hours late to her own after party. And I only got one cupcake (probably for the best). After the party there was, unfortunately, no hotel lobby. But what can ya do? R. Kelly can't be everywhere all the time.

Elana Kagan is the SCOTUS nominee. My Harold Koh dreams are out the window, but I knew they weren't realistic from the beginning. In some ways I like the Kagan pick. I like that she doesn't have judicial experience. I think it gives some nice diversity and perspective, and plenty of great justices were not previously judges. I like that she has the potential to be "liberal." I like that she is young. I don't like that she could also not be "liberal" but rather much more moderate (I don't care about the left's criticism that she takes an expansive view of executive power, though I'm not in love with her view). I am hesitant about the fact that she will likely not be the intellectual counter-weight to Scalia, thus leaving a "conservative" and rather unbalanced court, particularly in the wake of Stevens. There are a lot of things we don't know about her, and I think the confirmation hearings will be interesting.
I don't care that she is a woman, Jewish, rumored to be a lesbian, from Harvard, and a Mets fan.
My big thing is that I know her niece, who lived on my hall freshman year of college. Her niece was also prominently visible in the video of the announcement of her nomination on the White House website. As I said to Shaked, of all the people on my freshman hall, she is not the one I particularly wanted on the White House website.

Iron Man 2 was good, but nowhere near as good as the first one. It was also the first movie I've seen in a theater in.......7 months? Wow. I've missed a lot, including Avatar, but Avatar I have no regrets about missing. Stupid blue things running around protecting their planet? I am uninterested. I was supposed to see Iron Man in New Hampshire with a bunch of people. Why go so far when there are theaters much closer? Apparently there is a theater that is also a restaurant, so you can eat while you watch the movie. Know where else you can eat in the movie? Every other movie theater (popcorn, Icees, milk duds, remember?). But this one has a variety of food and waiters. Because I want a waiter to be taking my drink order while I am missing crucial plot points and paying the bill during the final fight. Remind me again why this seems like a good idea? Well, I didn't end up getting there anyways. The car I was going in started smoking from under the hood. Time to take that bad boy to the mechanic. I asked to just be let out to walk, rather than go to the mechanic. Five minutes into walking the sky opened up on me and I got caught in a rainstorm. Perfect. A perfect storm. I got to see Iron Man later that evening...in a regular theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment