Sunday, May 16, 2010

Field Sobriety Testing

Someone, I think Ethan, made the astute comment that auto-tune music is going to sound ridiculous to people in a few years. I think it was specifically in reference to the song "Down" by some talentless guy featuring Lil' Wayne. I agree with Ethan, the songs that are popular now are going to be incredibly outdated and just don't have the staying power necessary to go down in history as "good music."

Last night while I was driving home I saw some of the most blatant displays of drunk driving ever. First there was a cab who could not stay in his own lane to save his life. I'm pretty sure he thought that the dotted white line was something to center your car on...and he was even failing at keeping it centered on that. Then there was an SUV which pulled up next to me as the guy in the passenger seat rolled down the window to yell at a pedestrian. At the next red light I was directly behind this SUV when the guy in the passenger seat opened the door and literally fell out of the car holding a McDonalds bag. He got to his feet and stumbled back into the car; then the light turned green and the car took off at about 60 mph, swerving around a bit. I caught up to it at the next red light, and again it took off at 60. Just to show the futility of speeding off, I wanted to catch it at the next one too, but unfortunately I had a turn to make. Unfortunately there wasn't a cop around either. That would have been some fun field sobriety testing.

Yesterday I took my friend Ryan to the airport at 2 in the afternoon. He had a flight at 4 going to California. Around 5 I get a call from him. "Hello?" "Hey man, what are you doing tonight?" "Ummm, well right now I'm about to eat dinner. Why?" I was pretty confused. Why was he asking me if I had plans for the night, or operating his cell phone at 30,000 feet en route to California? "Feel like picking me up at the airport?" Aha! He missed his flight due to...being at the wrong terminal, it turns out. Apparently they have two gates with the same number and, for whatever reason, he didn't realize that there was not a plane waiting to take him to California at that gate. So I picked him up and then took him back to the airport this afternoon for his replacement flight. Three trips to the airport in 24 hours? Score! It's because I love paying tolls.

Perhaps it is only my naivete, but I did not know that Rihanna sampled Michael Jackson in "Please Don't Stop the Music." I was previously unaware, and now feel a bit sheepish. But it's okay sharing it with you, blog, because you journal all my secret thoughts. Oh wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment