Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Do You Know What the Midwest Is?

Outlet shopping today was a disappointing but relieving. I didn't buy nearly enough clothing to feel ready to tackle being a "lawyer" or even an "adult," but I also didn't spend the bank. I ended up buying some practical things and some necessary things. No suits, however, so that still has to get done. It's a rough job suit shopping, but somebody's gotta do it. Ron contemplated both seersucker and white suits today. I encouraged him to go for it. So cheap. Alas, the peer pressure didn't work this time. Meanwhile my shoulders inhibited my suit shopping, as did some ugly suits. I'd say the real let down was the Banana Republic Outlet. Some people know that I am pretty much in love with Banana Republic (or Nana Pubs as some have been known to call it). Nevermind the fact that their dress shirts really aren't sized for me or that they constantly above my price range. The quality, the comfort, and the look are what I'm all about. Unfortunately they had just about nothing I wanted today. What the hell Nana Pubs, you are supposed to be my favorite, my rock. Today, you were a total let down. Your little brother, Gap, was far superior. You ought to be ashamed.

This evening, I politely declined to go to a strip club. I am certain I made the right decision. It is an experience in life that I am still lacking, but I am comfortable letting it remain that way.

I've been watching Heroes, season 1 on DVD. (Thanks Library!) I like it, but it's so repetitive and very little happens each episode. They follow so many character plots that it takes three episodes for anything coherent to happen and any event to resolve itself. It doesn't help that they do a "previously on Heroes" then they re-show the entire scene were a character left off, then some character has a dream where you see the same thing, then they have a flashback to that dream, then there's a painting of it, then it actually happens. By the end you have viewed the same scene twelve times and wasted half the episode. I understand that Peter is going to explode! I got it after the first three times I saw it! I'm looking forward to the next episode where small strands of plot will further be revealed, two questions will be answered, five new questions will pop up, and I'll get to see Peter explode again. Had to get that out there. I really do like it, but if it moved a little faster and had a little more confidence in viewers to figure it out, I would appreciate it.

On Friday I saw "Johnny Baseball" with Eva. It's a musical about the Red Sox, race relations, and a love story. Two of those areas they covered well; one they covered poorly. You can guess which was the poor one. Now you can check your answer: it's the love story. I'm not crazy about musicals to begin with, but adding an ill-conceived and ultimately irrelevant love story with mundane songs didn't help anything. The rest of the show, however, was lots of fun. It is very Boston. They rhyme with Scituate and Methuen, make fun of Worcester, and capture the baseball culture of Boston very well. Part of the plot takes place during Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS, codename the best baseball game ever played. So of course you have to love that. Also, I didn't know that the Red Sox were the last baseball team to integrate and declined to sign Willie Mays. Go team. Yes, the Red Sox have made some (understatement) mistakes, but at least....ummm....they've been playing well this week. And at least....they aren't the Yankees!

Heading off to Chicago tomorrow, land of Bears, Cubs, and White Sox. Also Matt, Mike, Leor, Obama, and others (I'm just assuming other people live there - I don't have firsthand experience yet). But I'm excited. Do you know what the Midwest is? (David Ronn's answer was "Yes.") Well I'm going to find out tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. I'm flying back to Boston from Chicago today! Bummer we're totally going to miss each other!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, too bad. If you have any Chicago recommendations let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hopleaf 5148 North Clark Street, is a really good bar and not hideously expensive. I'm a big fan of the Art Institute also and Thursday nights are free to the public from 5-8 pm :)

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete