Friday, May 21, 2010

Barn Stable

While I'm not quite sure where most days are going at the moment, I did go to the Cape Wednesday and Thursday with Matt Brown, Leah, and Misha. We left around 11 in the morning, which did not give me ample time to wake up, consume coffee, and generally be ready to be part of society, so we stopped on the highway to get some food and coffee. In the tradition of vacations, I wanted fast food, so I went to Burger King. It was some of the slowest fast food I have ever ordered, but nonetheless I managed to begin my day with the breakfast of champions: coffee and two double cheeseburgers.
Once on the Cape, in honor of Matt and his legendary temperament, we ate at a restaurant called "Grumpys." The four of us walked in and looked around. I immediately realized that I was one quarter the age of the next youngest person in the restaurant. It was straight out of a Florida early bird special. But the food was good, the coffee refills were free (Misha got a nice buzz) and I could not for the life of me remember the name of the protagonist of "Atlas Shrugged." It's Dagny Taggart (thanks MattHope!). After finding Stop and Shop and the liquor store, which was right next to an adult video store in the shopping plaza of sin, we retired to Leah's aunt's cottage in Barnstable. I never thought about it before, but Barnstable is a ridiculous name for a town. Barn. Stable. How did they ever come up with it? A night of debauchery ensued wherein an impressive percentage of what we collected from the liquor store was consumed as were many potato chips, much pasta, and next to no salad. Vegetables? We don't need no stinkin' vegetables. Also, Misha and I kept sneaking CTC (Cinnamon Toast Crunch, for those of you not up on your breakfast cereal lingo) behind Matt Brown's back. He kept insisting that we leave it for breakfast, but it's so delicious, there was really nothing I could do. Heed the call of the CTC.
The next morning we got up and went for a walk on the beach at low tide. Then laid out in the sun on the porch for a bit. Sunscreen? Forgot that little detail and now I'm decently red. When I told my mom about my sunburn she started talking to me about skin cancer. Thanks mom, I was well aware. Also, is it just me or does everything give you cancer? I think the only thing that doesn't raise your risk for cancer is sitting in a blank room with no windows and no fun. Of course no Cape trip would be complete without lobster rolls and ice cream, so that's what we did. Some fools (Matt and Misha) got frappes at lunch before we went to ice cream. It was a very dairy day for them.

Easily the most hilarious quote of the Cape belongs to Misha. He was discussing working out: "I work out because it makes me feel good. Also because I want to be ready if the apocalypse comes. I'm only sort of kidding about that part." Well, he has to be ready if the apocalypse comes because we can't all horde canned goods, guns, and precious metals and own property in Argentina.

Certain congratulations are due at this point in the year. Congratulations to Erica for graduating from college. Congratulations to Eva for graduation from college. And Celia and Elana. Congratulations to Shaked and Ron for finishing 1L. Congratulations to Jonah for getting killed by me in fantasy baseball this week (sucker!). And congratulations to everyone who is finishing something else right now that I am unaware of, has currently slipped my mind, or I am too lazy to mention.

I only have one grade back from this semester so far. I've had that one grade for over a week now, so you'd think that it would be completely viable for my other four to be in as well, especially my LRW grade which has been determined for well over a month at this point. Come on! At least my LRW professor was "not invited to return."

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Will! I feel honored that you added me near the top of the list...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you told me you were going eat healthier. Four cheeseburgers is not the breakfast of champions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really behind on my Will's-blog-reading, so...thanks! Yay! congrats to you on your finishing your first year and all. maybe, since at this point in the blog you still don't have bunches of grades. but let's assume yes. :D !!?!?

    -elana

    ReplyDelete