Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Metro etiquitte

There are certain behaviors which are common courtesy on public transportation that some people need to be reminded of. Particularly when that public transportation involves escalators or cramped quarters. I have a few quips with how some people in DC have been acting, as they have been falling below the standard of acceptable behavior on the metro.
First, the lady who walks slowly on the escalator. OK, you get some points for not standing on the left side of the escalator like an oblivious idiot. That stops traffic completely until someone manages to "Ahem" the person loud enough that they move. But slow walking lady goes down the left side of the escalator one step at a time, at about a quarter of the pace that I deem acceptable. People have trains to catch! And if you really can't walk faster than that, just get over to the right where there is no walking involved. It's an escalator, it'll take you to your destination...eventually. For now, MOVE!
Second, the guy who sits next to me when there are two open seats next to each other. Come on! I don't smell that good. I like my personal space as much as anyone on public transportation. Go sit by yourself. My headphones are on for a reason, I'm not here to make friends. I'm here to commute.
Third, coughing homeless man. Sir, please do not board this train. You are a public health hazard. Pretty self-explanatory. No one wants to get swine flu from some guy wearing a Teva and a tissue box as a pair of shoes.
Forth, and finally (for now), the guy who is just a creep. On the afternoon/early evening of Halloween there was this guy on the metro I was on. He had some sort of animal fur costume on his head, with black makeup on his nose. I think he was trying to be some sort of rodent. But he was wearing a well-cut black suit with black leather gloves, carrying a black umbrella, and just kind of staring at everyone. I thought he was going to kill someone. He walked the entire length of the car I was on, waiting in front of the doors beginning while we were still in the tunnel and not at a station, and then when the doors opened all he did was walk onto the next car of the train. Hi, my name is psycho.

Blah, blah, blah, this week is busy with Memo 2. I've got it under control. Writing it isn't that bad. What is that bad is listening to other people freak out about it. After listening to a five minute conversation about how to deal with the fact that the plaintiff is seeking a declaratory judgment I couldn't listen to it anymore and said, "How about there is no one right way to deal with it and we should all just calm down?" I still think it's an apt comment. And I'm pretty much done listening to other people talk about how stressed they are. So my goal for the rest of the week is to get my work done, shut my mouth, and possibly duct tape Gunner to a chair and leave him in a janitorial closet.

Oh yeah, Gunner was bad today. In a 55 minute class period you should not be able to ask 4 different "questions" (read: inane, half-formed, illogical word vomits with question marks at the end of them), and detract from the rest of the class actually learning the material. It's fine if you don't understand something or need clarification on a point. But when you are mentioning a movie you saw that is, at best, tangentially related to the subject it is time to be quiet. At this point I am amazed that professors don't stop calling on him and if he starts talking don't ask him to stop. They could at least say "I'll be happy to discuss it with you after class." But he keeps getting attention. He's like giving a moose a muffin. I'm not sure why, because I don't remember that book, but I think it's related somehow. And this isn't just me, at lunch three or four separate people came up to the lunch table fuming about it, completely unprompted.

Also, my Torts professor has not graded our midterms yet due to a "severe bout of laziness" over the weekend. I can respect that.

1 comment:

  1. that's ok. my prof for property today when i went up to talk to him about classes for next semester said "oh. this sounds important. Wait just a moment while I close to door to allow for a more private interaction" and closed the door in the faces of my other classmates who were standing right outside waiting for office hrs. I don't want to know what they were thinking.

    ReplyDelete