Thursday, August 27, 2009

And you wear a bow tie?!

Do you remember watching that clip of John Stewart go on CNN's Crossfire about a month before it got taken off the air? It's a great clip...I guess it's more like half an episode of Crossfire than a clip since it's pretty long, but it's still fantastic. I hope I'm not spoiling anything here, but at some point Tucker Carlson, the host from the conservative side, is harassing John Stewart a little too much, and John Stewart says "How old are you?" "Thirty-five," answers Tucker. John Stewart shoots back, "And you wear a bow tie?"

That pretty much is my torts professor. The first time he walked into class I could help but think of that reference. He looks like an overgrown five year old-he has a bowl cut and I doubt he's ever grown facial hair in his life. He was wearing a bow tie (a feat which he repeated today in class). And, of course, he leans towards the conservative side. Wow. It's a good thing he's an interesting and engaging lecturer, otherwise I really couldn't take him seriously. Also tort is a silly word. And for those of you wondering what a tort is, I am too. But Black's Law Dictionary defines it as "A civil wrong, other than breach of contract, for which a rememdy may be obtained, usu. in the form of damages; a breach of a duty that the law imposes on persons who stand in a particular relation to one another." That really helped clear it up, huh?

While sitting in my torts classroom I accidentaly formulated a new position on gun control. (Gun control has nothing to do with torts by the way.) I think that all guns must be painted neon pink. This would make it easier to see when someone had a gun; it would make guns more difficult to conceal or to be carried discretely. I like to think that it would also cut down on gang violence. I don't think that a lot of gangs would think it was awesome to carry around neon pink gats with which to 'pop a cap.' They would probably have to resort back to another weapon, like knives or bows and arrows, which are far less lethal. Maybe we could resort to some good old fashioned quarter staff fighting.

Poor Ted Kennedy. He died, by the way. I think the only way you could have not known that by now is if you, yourself, are also dead. I love the Kennedy family. Killing that girl and all, I am proud to have voted for Teddy. He was an institution and he was a liberal lion. Hopefully he was not the last of his kind. But I can't think of anyone capable of filling even half his shoes at the moment. I wonder who Deval Patrick will appoint. I hope it's you. And that you have Massachusetts residency and meet the age requirement for US Senators (which is 30 if you were wondering). It's a cushy job from what I hear. At least 6 years of job security, a staff, no real obligation to show up for anything, and great health care. I hear they don't even care about preexisting conditions when lining up that health insurance. Sounds like a good gig, right? I think there are millions of Americans who could do a lot worse, if only for the health benefits. And the staff. You gotta have a staff. I'd try to recruit Anderson Cooper to be my press secretary. That man is fun to watch. He has honest eyes.

Limp Bizkit covered "Behind Blue Eyes" by the Who, right? And the cover was awful right? I think these are both facts, but I'm just checking.

Oh, and the Johnny Cash song "Hurt" which everyone loved so much...that's a Nine Inch Nails cover. If you already knew that I apologize, but you would be shocked by the amount of people who are ignorant to that fact. Yup, Hurt is track 14 on The Downward Spiral album.

No comments:

Post a Comment