Sunday, December 13, 2009

Tread Carefully

This morning I woke up motivated to work out. That motivation is unnatural and probably came from the amount of hors d'ourvs I ate the previous night at a holiday party. Everything was a puff pastry or melted cheese. Or both! I love baked brie. But it's not exactly like eating a salad. Melted cheese, why are you so good? So in the name of working off a few holiday calories, and because I hadn't gotten to work out for a couple of days before and likely will not tomorrow, I decided to go for a morning run. On the treadmill. In the basement of my building. It's not like I slogged three miles through the rain to the gym. But still, running in the morning, that's pretty good for a lazy guy. I'd say about 20% of the time I'm in the work out room someone else is in there. Maybe less frequently than that even. As luck would have it there was one woman in there on the bicycle. Fine, not a problem. I got on the treadmill and ran for a while. In the midst of my run I brushed the cord of my headphones. In slow motion I saw the cord ripple and begin to pull my iPod down. Still in slow-mo I reach to catch my iPod before it falls, but I'm not quite fast enough. Unfortunately, my mind was also going in slow-mo, and it didn't stop me from making a second grab at my iPod while completely forgetting that I was running on a damn treadmill. So my arms reach down, my feet stop running, and my body is hurled off the treadmill against the wall, still grasping for my iPod. I landed on my left elbow, which still hurts a little. The woman on the bicycle looked up to see me recovering on the floor. I quickly popped up and kept running, raising my iPod to show her what I had been going after. In the end I got my iPod back, but I left some dignity on the floor behind the treadmill.
I probably should have just stayed in bed.

That, unfortunately, was the most exciting part of my day. The rest of it was studying Civil Procedure and Contracts, and being cold. Also starting a scrabble game (on facebook) out with a seven letter word due to being handed two blanks in my opening hand. That was pretty sweet. Speaking of scrabble, Brendan played the word "pika" in a game. That's not a real word, I'm sorry. It's just not. You can tell me it's an animal in some obscure corner of the planet, but I'm not going for it. Anything from Pokemon is right out. Try putting "snorlax" out there as a seven letter word and I'll hit you.

1 comment:

  1. yeah, as if waving an ipod at her undoes any of what she just witnessed.

    ReplyDelete