Monday, October 12, 2009

Mostly Empty

Emma came to visit this weekend. Predictably, though through no fault of her own, she was about 4 hours late getting here on Saturday. Jessica also came from Delaware for Saturday night. Emma got kicked out of the Big Hunt for hopping a wall on the patio and sitting on someone else's property. In preparation for my Torts midterm, I can tell you that is trespass. But a fifth grader could also have told you that. Apparently Emma wasn't thinking about it at the moment. What repercussions? Oh, right. It wasn't a big deal. Also not a big deal: stealing nachos. But there were soggy, so it wasn't the best. Sunday morning Jessica woke both me and Emma up at 7 in the morning to try to convince us to go to Starbucks. Um, no. I'm sorry. That's too early for life on Saturday. It's an ungodly hour. I like Starbucks, but that's no excuse for being woken up that early.

Sunday Emma ended up staying for the night partly because she's awesome and partly because her ride ditched her/didn't pick up her phone because she stupidly left it in the trunk of her car for 5 hours. But before all that we went to the National Equality March. We walked down the the White House, met up with the march, and walked to the Capitol Lawn. Google Maps says that's 2.5 miles. Woot. There's my workout for the day. They didn't release crowd estimates, but there were tens of thousands of people. I wouldn't be surprised if it surpassed 100,000 people. With almost as many homemade signs and rainbow flags. It was a really cool experience. I was very proud to be a participant. Also, Don't Ask Don't Tell and DOMA are awful laws and are state-sponsored discrimination, which I'm not so ok with in any way. (Except against Republicans...?) Among the speakers who we saw were Judy Sheppard, Matthew Shepard's mother (or related to the Laramie Project, if that's how you prefer to understand things), Miranda (I think?) from Sex and the City, and Lady Gaga. When Lady Gaga got up to speak there was a mad rush to the stage, like someone was giving out free beer only the beer was irresistible to gay men. She spoke for a little, it was fine. She loves her gay fans. But she included a quip about how she won't support any homophobia or misogyny in music. That's all well and good, Lady Gaga, but didn't Akon sign you? Aren't you on his record label? Oh yeah. Just checking.

On the way back from the Capitol Lawn Emma and I passed an ambulance taking care of someone. But I'm pretty sure that the guy was dead. As in, he didn't look like he was breathing or moving and the paramedics weren't in a particular rush to do anything, like get a dead body off the street. Holy crap! I'm not sure I've ever seen a freshly dead guy before. A little spooky. I'm not a fan. I'll try really hard in law school so I don't have to drop out and become an undertaker. Or a professional wrestler (The Undertaker...that was the most hick-ish thing I've said maybe ever).

I don't want to even talk about Boston Sports right now. But I will say this: Papelbon maybe should be on suicide watch right now. But, as BDP pointed out to me, the Celtics won their preseason game yesterday. So the glass is about 1/8 full, better known as mostly empty.

1 comment:

  1. Just realized I could click my name and narcissistically scroll around to where you talk about me. Or tag me. And it's kinda cool to read about this much later after the law changes :)

    ReplyDelete