Tuesday, October 27, 2009

It's not fair

On Sunday when I was coming back from Boston the person who gave me my ticket at the gate was awesome. I walked up to get my actual boarding pass - for some reason Southwest didn't feel like giving it to me when I checked in automatically - and there's this guy sitting there behind the desk with clearly fake boobs, wearing a blouse, skirt, and heels. The guy has a 5 o'clock shadow and isn't wearing makeup. The best part is that he has long hair dyed bright blue, saying "I don't give a crap what you think of me." It definitely takes some self-confidence to pull that all off. Go for it, man. If that's what you want to do and it doesn't inhibit you doing your job, rock those boobs and that unshaven face. My guess is this is a guy who has put up with a lot over the years.

I really had to buckle down today to get a substantial portion (think a third) of Memo 2 written today. It took 3-4 hours, but the first draft of that much of it is done. I just have to remember to send it into the Writing Center tomorrow to give them adequate time to look it over. I wouldn't want the reason I stayed at school from 10-7 today to go to waste. Wowza that was a lot of work. And I haven't even/am not doing tonight all my reading for tomorrow. Instead I hung out with Dan for an hour and tried to care about my homework. That wasn't very successful. If I get cold called in Torts tomorrow I might be pretty screwed. Here's hoping. But my professor probably doesn't like me anyways, so whatever. It's a tie though, since I'm not his biggest fan, ideologically speaking that is. Some time in our last week of class he declared that he doesn't care about fairness. This is in the context of a debate about whether strict liability or negligence should be the standard. If you don't understand that, don't worry. My professor went to Chicago, is conservative, and thus loves law and economics type stuff. What is important to him is that law makes society run efficiently (in a very monetary sense of the term). Basically the point of law is to save money for society (probably an unfair attribution, there are more nuances, but that's the crux of it). As such, some things are unfair, but he's ok with that because remember he doesn't care about fairness. So if someone acts completely non-negligently going about their daily business and some accident happens to his neighbor involving his property, he should have to pay no matter what (strict liability) as long as this is what is efficient for the court system. To illustrate his dedication to this efficiency idea he talked about how his kids fight. If both of his children get ice cream and one comes to him and says "She got more than me. That's not fair," his response is "Well, I don't care about fairness," and so his kids learn quickly not to use that argument. I don't care if he is joking or not, someone should call child services. Can you picture rebuking your children that way? You don't care if they are treated fairly? That is your flesh and blood, sir. I certainly hope you want them to be treated fairly and not just efficiently. I hope that if child services ever did take away his kids he would tell them "It's not fair!" and they would just laugh maniacally.

For a lunch break today I got to meet with an investigator for my friend's government security clearance. It wasn't too hard. Most of the questions were gimmes. For example "Has she ever been part of or associated with a group who desires to violently overthrow the government of the United States?" It wasn't too difficult to get the right answer on that one. Not the most discreet of investigators. He's nothing compared to Sherlock Holmes, whose magnificently clever tales I have been enjoying of late.

Not enough people use semicolons anymore; someone should do something about that. Haha, I'm hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment