Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A Tough Choice

Sunday afternoon Shaked and I were walking back from Georgetown when it looked like it was going to rain and rain bad. We power walked and made it about a block and a half away from my building when the sky just opened up. Drenching rain, getting blown around. We took cover under the overhang of a Chinese food restaurant with an older couple who turned out to be from Boston. We were having a nice conversation about Boston, waiting the rain out, when I saw a cockroach. Then two. Then three. All four of us simultaneously look down at the sewer grate we are standing next to and see roaches pouring out of it. A dozen or so big ones. The kind that might be able to take you in a fight. The woman just bolted without a word to her husband, who looked at us and said "I guess that's it," and followed his wife. I stupidly was about to say to Shaked that it wasn't that bad when I felt something crawling up my right ankle. Well, I did exactly what you would have done when faced with a choice between rain and roaches; I shook off the roach, screamed like a woman, and sprinted the block and a half home in the pouring rain. I beat Shaked, who was absolutely horrified, back to my building. It was the closest my life has ever been to a Goosebumps book.

I hope everyone had a good Independence Day and that no aliens attacked (only roaches?). I pretty much spent it writing cover letters for fall internships and watching fireworks from a friend's roof. On that note, if anyone happens to be bff with a congressman and wants to hook me up with an internship, I'd be fine with that. I wouldn't even complain.
Oh, right! I also had Shake Shack! It shook my shack. Then I had Qdoba because Shaked bought a salad and they were having a buy one, get one free promotion. Then I felt sick. Then I ate cake. Then I felt better.

Speaking of feeling sick, I had Pepto Bismol for the first time last week, I don't mind telling you. And it really worked! My stomach felt better in no time (well...some time). Good enough to drink Sam Adams at the bar down the street (which I may have been to three days in a row this weekend...by Sunday the bouncer didn't even card me because he knew I'd been there before. Oops? Or is this a good thing? Local bar, woo!)

No comments:

Post a Comment