Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Lard Tour

Today's social event at the firm was the "Lard Tour" - a day where the goal is to eat as unhealthy and as much as possible. This was complicated for me by having an upset stomach for the past three days, which relented yesterday afternoon. But the Lard Tour did not ask my stomach's permission. The day started off at 8:45 when our recruiting coordinator called us up to a conference room for breakfast. There were cups of hashbrowns and french toast as dense as a brick. I went with the healthiest option presented, a vegetable and avocado panini that you could taste the butter in. The day continued with lunch a bit after noon. We went to a restaurant serving New Orleans cuisine, Eatonville. Apparently there was a semi-competition between the summers, encouraged by the partners, about who could push themselves the farther to eat. The winner is dubbed the Lard Winner. A dubious title. Appetizers for the table (all of which I ate) where crab cakes, mac and cheese (insanely good), lamb sliders, cajun french fries, and corn bread (also stellar). Because the service was so bad, they also brought us po' boys with fried shrimp and oysters as appetizers. I was full already. Then I had a plate of ribs and grits. It was delicious and got gobbled down. Meanwhile the other summers began to struggle, although Chris ate his entire entree po' boy, quite the feat. Dessert was where it was decided. Most summers got a piece of chocolate cake. So did I, but I also got a slice of pecan pie and an extra scoop of ice cream. I somehow managed to pack it down my throat and into my stomach, which was surprisingly cooperative. I was dubbed Lard Winner and awarded a pink pig baseball cap which I was forced to wear in a ritual uncannily like hazing. Damn my competitive streak! But my stomach is still holding up pretty well. Oh yeah!

The stomach thing started in New York this Saturday. New York was fun, minus the moderate illness. I stayed at Jonah's and hated on things with him. My stomach actually kept me from going out on Saturday night, but Jonah assured me I would have hated the bar they went to - long line and full of hipsters. Yeah, doesn't sound like my scene. It was also good to see Klassy, Kate, Allie, Jenks, Naomi, and Lorand. Lots of college people who have scattered across the country.
On Saturday we went to Coney Island. It was one of the trashiest yet most entertaining places I have ever been. It was also approximately 100 degrees. Probably didn't help my stomach. But I did ride the Cyclone, the world's oldest roller coaster, which happens to be made of wood. It's like playing a really prolonged game of Russian Roulette. The clacking of the cars across the wooden planks is a scary noise. Anything can happen on a 90 year-old roller coaster. I also ate at the original Nathan's Hot Dogs. Throw in sitting on the beach while everyone else swims and Jonah and I gripe about sand and you have a lovely, if sun-burn-y, day at Coney Island.

I am reading Game of Thrones. It is unfortunately addictive. I'm not saying it haunts my dreams, but I have had dreams about it. I gotta stop reading it before bed. That time should be reserved for How I Met Your Mother.

As I said to Reza today, if saving the world paid the same as destroying it, no one would destroy it.

Speaking of destroying the world, the debt ceiling crap is ridiculous and I have lost interest. And I like politics. This is absolutely disgusting. Everyone pull it together. Lock it up!

Ludacris,
I can go two and a half feet low. That is how low I can go.
Keep asking insightful questions,
Will

I think I have an interview for a fall internship next Friday. Here's hoping! It should be exciting. Turns out that sometimes answering Unknown numbers on your cell phone while at work is a good idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment