Sunday, June 19, 2011

You Wanted It

Aaaand we're back. Sorry, I just get busy sometimes. If it helps, I didn't get around to speaking to my mother for a couple of days. But Matt does a pretty good Will. And I love it. So here we are.

Work continues to be pretty good. I got an assignment that I am not thrilled about that necessarily involved converting a pdf file to a docx file to a doc file. Now this might sound like a bunch of silly techno mumbo jumbo, but the result was taking three hours to reformat and retype a couple of documents. It was...less than thrilling. And it really did not require any skills that I may have picked up in the past two years of law school.
The other summers and I went out Friday night in Dupont. It was remarkable because it was the first time we had no one from the firm. Therefore we could let loose (read: drink to excess should we choose). The evening began with a stiff manhattan while waiting for two of the summers to finish work (it was after 5!). I was on an empty stomach, so the cocktail and subsequent couple of beers could have knocked me for a loop. But do not worry, gentle reader (Ugh, I hate Miss Manners), I dug in my heals, ate a cheeseburger, and rallied. We all had a good night, full of semi-competitive skee ball and whiskey shots. I learned some things about the other summers - one is a profane drunk, another wears robes as study attire. Good things.
Now, this was actually a very lawyerly activity. To the untrained eye it may seem like we were just going out for a Friday night. But we were actually preparing ourselves for this upcoming Tuesday evening, when the firm will be hosting a wine tasting for us (emphasis on the tasting not on the wine, as an associate described it). The phrase "wined and dined" will be hilariously literal. I have been warned that I may not be incredibly productive with work on Wednesday morning. Good thing there are little packets of Advil next to the coffee machine!

"Everyone looks retarded once you set your mind to it" - David Sedaris. I like it. Very appropriate. I read it in a book of sassy quotations in a women's clothing store in the mall. Is this where wisdom comes from?

Clarence Clemons, the sax player from the E Street Band, died. Sad face. Moment of silence for the Big Man.

I am displaying the beginning symptoms of an addiction to How I Met Your Mother.

I did a mitzvah. I got a drunk man kicked out of a bar this weekend, with Rebecca. No more stumbling around, bumping chairs, and scaring girls for you, mister. Rebecca and I both considered it a mitzvah at the time, but now that I write it out loud (yeah, I see the issue with that) it seems less like the title of mitzvah applies. So what is it then??

Forgetting the ending to "Walk to Remember" made it really awkward when I asked Shaked why they didn't make a sequel. At least I knew it was the one with Mandy Moore! Hrm, maybe this is something I shouldn't have written.

People keep assuming that I'm stoked the Bruins won. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy about it. But hockey is my fourth sport...like, way behind the first three. Aside from winning ("Winning" - Charlie Sheen), my favorite story about the Stanley Cup was Canadians rioting and then apologizing to the city of Boston. How un-Canadian! I like that the out of character action was a story in itself. If the riots had been in Boston, would we have apologized to Canada? I doubt it.

I will try to update more regularly! Conscious effort: go.

No comments:

Post a Comment