Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Game Is Afoot

Last week was busy; this upcoming week will be busier. I have a meeting almost every night and then I have to help out with the first year moot court competition over the weekend. Let us discuss things I am not interested in doing. On the flip side, my note is coming along nicely and is maybe 5 hours of work from completion. Alright, I will probably put in 7 hours, but whatever. I have 8 days. If my calculations are correct, that is less than an hour a day. Hold on, I am doing the math on my computer calculator. Yeah, I was right. (Channeling Mark Zuckerburg in "The Social Network" over here.)

Speaking of stealing ideas, do not steal this one. I want to pitch it to Steve Jobs myself. A "Read A Mat, Eat and Learn" place mat for adults. The iMat. It will send convenient facts and world news right to your place mat. Spill mashed potatoes on an image of Vice President Biden's head. Yeah, I know it is not a perfect plan. Really, I just miss educational place mats. My "Read A Mat" of presidents had George H. W. Bush as the current president. Those were the good old days.

Last week I was fascinated with a minor point in Tax. Two correctly decided cases about the tax consequences of prenuptial agreements and divorce settlements resulted in a logical flaw combined. (The flaw has to do with calculating the basis for the right to sue for divorce, if you were wondering, which I am sure you were since everyone finds the income tax code so interesting.) I was actually so interested in it and its broader implications that I went to my professor's office hours. I also went because I like him a lot and wanted to see if he would crack similar jokes one on one as he does in front of our class of 140. He did. I also think it is generally a good idea to get to know some professors. At the very least, it can't hurt. He was super nice and somehow got to valuing future property interests, which led to a(n) (tenuous and likely flawed but still interesting) entrepreneurial idea about valuing and purchasing risky property interests a la buying out life insurance policies. It's just crazy enough that if nothing goes the way I plan, I might try to make it work. Or you take my idea. Idea stealer. Don't steal the iMat though.

Don't be a drag. Just be a queen? Wish that song were not stuck in my head.
I also wish I knew how to Dougie. Many people refused to teach me. The Cali Swag District tried in an online video, but I don't think it is too helpful. All I got is there is a little head brushing move that is essential to the dance. I am afraid that I am starting to not understand kids these days.

In Taboo (the game), Kerry described a cannoli as a "cream-filled taco." Reza, who was not on the same team, got it instantly, but somehow the rest of the team could not conceptualize it. I thought it was the perfect description.
Speaking of Mexican food (tacos, not cannoli, I know), I found more people in DC who recognize the amazingness of Anna's Taqueria. Oh, how I miss those delicious burritos and quesadillas. Someone please complete the Anna's Challenge: eat three super burritos in one sitting. I dare you. If you do it, I will pay for your meal (if you are lucky, and if you manage to keep it all down).

In other news, my distaste for my Criminal Procedure class continues to grow. Although, Thursday's class did see New Gunner getting 100% completely shut down by the professor for asking a question that had been answered two minutes earlier. Also, someone needs to tell him that if he is compelled to make a comment in class that begins with "I think," or "In my experience," then he should not be making that comment at all. Those sentence starters come straight from Law School Gunning 101: What Not to Say.

I made chicken as part of dinner tonight. I wanted to tenderize it, and a hammer was my best tool for the job. It happened. Creative kitchen utensils.

1 comment:

  1. oh man, the things i would do to see you attempt to do the dougie are so numerous i shall not even begin the list.

    ReplyDelete