Sunday, March 7, 2010

We Built This City

First off, big shout outs to Jonah and Missy for letting me stay at their places in New York and being generally awesome.

As you should gather from my first off statement, I was in New York this week, thus the lack of updates. It was really nice to see people, to have a week without classes, and to get out of DC for a little while. Despite being in the biggest, loudest, most hustling-bustling city in the country, I feel more relaxed after the week. I took the bus up Tuesday and read a New Yorker basically the entire way. That filled my brain up pretty good, which probably accounts for my poor showing at trivia with Jonah that night. Either that or accidentally going through five pitchers between three of us. Yeah, didn't realize that was happening, then I wondered why it was difficult for me to remember the four states that are actually commonwealths. I did get them eventually. (Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia and...drum roll...Kentucky.) Though I'm also going to say that I was distracted by fantasy baseball talk, 'cause I'm the coolest, least nerdy person ever.

The next two days were basically spent walking around the city and writing my appellate brief. I went on a tour de coffee shops. Seats near electrical sockets became a precious commodity. I became an expert at which places have nice bathrooms and which do not. I pirated internet when necessary, drank innumerable medium (sometimes grande) coffees, and listened to at least half a dozen women complain to their girlfriends about a coworker who was ruining their life. On Wednesday I went to dinner with Nina on the west side and walked 2.6 miles back to Jonah's apartment, needing to pee the entire way. It was terrible! I was constantly on the lookout for a Starbucks and in those 2.6 miles I did not see one. I must have taken the only streets in Manhattan that do not have a Starbucks strewn around. Upon reaching Jonah's house I had to blow off his parents' greetings and proceed immediately to the bathroom for what will go down as one of the most satisfying visits of my life. Then I was happy to sit on the couch with him mom and talk about how ridiculous American Idol is. Jonah did MCAT studying like a loser. A loser who wants to go to med school.

Back to American Idol for a second - when did Ellen become a judge? I actually like that a lot - she can be meaner than Simon, yet funny at the same time. And you can't hate her because she's Ellen. Unless you are homophobic, then I guess you can hate her, but I will consider your views repulsive. I was afraid she was going to be a Paula-style, lovey dovey, full of crap judge. I guess they have someone else for that now, some woman I don't know. Can't be worse than having Lil' Mama as a judge. I forget what show that was, I want to say America's Best Dance Crew, but it was terrible. I was in pain every time she spoke. Not only does she not have a basic command of the English language but she has no talent to speak of and is generally moronic.

Thursday night I watched "Night at the Museum 2" with Missy. Actually an amusing movie. I love silly historical humor, so that definitely helps, and there are a lot of good comedians in it.
The next evening (I guess that would be Friday evening) I met up with a lot of people at a bar on the west side. Nina, Jonah, SKlass, and Emma who came in from Worcester. The bar was a little fratty - it had beirut tables in the back and was giving out free shots of American Honey - but it was fun. There was a fat version of Owen Wilson, I met friend's friends, and general revelry ensued. Also a waitress tried to sell me some kind of drink that is designed to prevent hangovers. The conversation was basically this:
Her: "It's supposed to hydrate you"
Me: "Oh, like water."
Her: "It helps with hangovers"
Me: "Like water?"
Her: "You can use it as a chaser for shots."
Me: "Ok, so water?"
This type of thing continued for a while. As far as I can tell this is water, but it comes in a can and is more expensive. Needless to say I did not purchase any.
Lots of people left the bar so I went with SKlass and her friend to a bar on the east side that was playing Paul Simon, Billy Joel, and Journey rather than Lady Gaga and Black Eyed Peas. I wasn't complaining. Some guy kept telling me he was impressed that I knew the lyrics to "You Can Call Me Al." Another guy wore an effeminate scarf then got defensive about it. A third (everyone's favorite) made out with some girl in a manner that cleared the dance floor. A fourth looked like he wanted to stab me in the neck after I stopped him from whispering sketchy things into Sarah's friend's ear. That was pretty much the scene. Everyone was in their work clothes and with their coworkers, but that didn't stop them from making bad decisions. Earlier that day Sarah asked me what DC bars were like. I told her they were more like this one.

Saturday I got woken up bright and early to go to Costco with Missy and her brother. After Costco and a delicious brunch of blueberry pancakes where, in a rare move, I chose over french toast and did not regret my decision, I walked around the city with Emma. It was very nice to see her, even if she had to leave to go to Brooklyn for dinner and then never came back to Manhattan. What is that? Come on! I forgive her. She did come all the way to New York.
I walked 60 blocks back to Missy's brother's apartment, a lovely little walk, and helped set up for their parents' 30th anniversary surprise party. The party was super cute; her parents are adorable and incredibly nice people. There was tons of delicious food (three plus sushi boats, tons of stuff from California Pizza Kitchen though not pizza, salads, lots of cheese, cake, etc.), karaoke, cute speeches, and lots of happy people. Missy's family really enjoyed it, which was the goal. So get the aircraft carrier and bust out the flight suit: Mission Accomplished.
After the party Missy and I went up to see Gavi and other people at a bar...for maybe 45 minutes. But I got to powerfist, so it was all for the best. Also, stayed up til 4 am for no good reason. Oops.

Best story of the trip:
I was on the subway walking up an escalator. There was a guy just standing in the middle of the escalator. Being in New York (though I do this everywhere), I said "Pardon me" in a somewhat sharp voice. He didn't react. Again, "Excuse me." This time he slides over to the right a little bit so I can pass. As I walk by I see he is just peeing on the escalator. Letting it all go. Oh New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment